Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

I recently watched on Netflix -- Rush: beyond the lighted stage. It was really good. It was funny in the credits, Geddy Lee quoted himself warning the filmakers early on, "Don't be surprised when you realize how boring we really are". But the documentary wasn't boring.
    -Tom K

I have always liked Rush and as a drummer of course I revered Neil. I've studied him. His death hits me still. He was one of a kind, tho there are a couple others out there now in that league. Danny Carey of TOOL being one of them.

I've always thought their musicianship was top of the food chain and have enjoyed a lot of their music. There was just always something missing for me and I think it was my proclivity for heavier and heavier music at that age that prevented me from exploring more.

Funny story, what really got me to check them out more and do a deeper dive is the Canadian show "Trailer Park Boys". The boys "kidnap" Alex Lifeson in one episode and I think he's appeared in one or 2 others. I stumbled across this video collaboration with frickin' Bubbles playing with the band, and they do a great job! This video got me to do my first Rush deep dive, lol.

@Pogre, love that!

I am getting into Wagner's "Ring" (Der Ring Des Nibelungen) because it is the source of "The Flight Of The Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now...

Turns out to be much more that I thought to bite off, but fascinating...

And the Georg Solti recording on Decca has been described as "the best recorded music ever"...so, I have to admit I am intrigued...and have delved deeply into this 15+ hour opera...

In between, streaming WXRT from Chicago (my roots) and playing lots of curated rock/blues/jazz from my own collection...I am a sucker for remastered "hi res" music, especially in 5.1, including a great Tom Sawyer disc in 5.1 to call back to the last post!

Cheers and good listening to all!
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

let me take back that recommendation to Acoustic Storm! this is the second week out of 3 that i had to turn it OFF! Ever since Audrey took over it has been AWFUL!
    serious nose dive!
    BTW : happy fathers day dads. I love RUSH too!

Since we will never see Rush perform again, these guys are a really good substitute. I was blown away.
    https://www.lotuslandband.com/index.html

Most recently, Roger Waters Amused to Death on vinyl. Awesome music. Except for a couple of spots, excellent pressing (quiet and dynamic)...will repeat washing to see if it improves.

Just received new order of vinyl and am in process of cleaning...up next in no particular order:
    Who - Tommy
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    Samson - Shock Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Most recently, Roger Waters Amused to Death on vinyl. Awesome music. Except for a couple of spots, excellent pressing (quiet and dynamic)...will repeat washing to see if it improves.

Just received new order of vinyl and am in process of cleaning...up next in no particular order:
    Who - Tommy
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    Samson - Shock Tactics
    I watched a recorded Iron Maiden concert from a few years ago from a Brazil tour. They're still huge down there I guess. Anyhoo, Bruce Dickinson is still one of the most engaging and energetic front men out there! He's older sure, but he still sounds really good and he's all over that stage! I LOVED Maiden growing up and it really made me feel good to see them all still together, still locked in tight, and still kicking mucho ass over 30 years later!

Yes, still huge in Brazil and elsewhere. I'd love to see them live again - saw them once in 82 (Killers tour, opening for the Scorpions) and again in 83 (Number of the Beast tour as headliner, with Saxon and Fastway).

Bruce is great...one of the reasons I picked up the Samson album (Bruce's band before joining Maiden).. makes me want to check out what Paul Di'Anno did musically post his Maiden days.

The Maiden albums with Bruce are really good (particularly the first few starting with Numbers) but my favorites are still the first release (Iron Maiden) followed by Killers.

New vinyl just arrived. Hope to get them cleaned over the next day for weekend listening.
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    Cream - Wheels of Fire
    and
    three from Megadeth -- The System Has Failed, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, and Rust in Peace.

Acoustic Storm is Jamming this am! thumbs up today

then she farted it all up playing Bon Jovi! WTF?
    Last edited by audiohead; 08-09-2020 at 06:37 AM.