Thread: d-15 se vrs f-15

Default d-15 se vrs f-15

Any performance diff between the 2 Subs ?

Thanks Mark
    Bunch of speakers

Default Re: d-15 se vrs f-15

Quote Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
    Any performance diff between the 2 Subs ?

Thanks Mark
    D15SE is more suitable for cement sub-floor. The only difference, if there is any, is the down-firing can give you slightly more output because the extra loading of the sub from floor reflection. Other than that, the performance difference is almost nil.

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    D15SE is more suitable for cement sub-floor. The only difference, if there is any, is the down-firing can give you slightly more output because the extra loading of the sub from floor reflection. Other than that, the performance difference is almost nil.
    Clear no-go if not cement floor (eg plywood over crawlspace)? Leaning towards D15SE, mainly for aesthetics & more childproof. But F15 not out of question, if some advantage since not concrete subfloor.
    Main TV setup:
    Ascend 340 SE fronts
    200 surrounds
    Sony SS-CSE Atmos Speakers
    Hsu VTF3-mkII
    Yamaha 7850 receiver
    LG UBKC90 Blu Ray player
    TivoHD
    PS3 (yup, not a 4!)

Keyboard setup:
    170SE surrounds
    Pio 74txvi receiver
    Pio 588 for DVDA/SACD

Hi BGHD,

Just as an FYI, you're responding to a thread that is nearly 3 years old.

Regarding your question, you can still use a down-firing subwoofer even without having a concrete floor. You'll probably get more energy dissipated through the floor instead of directly into the room, but remember that bass frequencies are omnidirectional.

I used to have a down-firing sub (not Rythmik) with carpet and plywood flooring. It worked fine, no issues. I'm pretty sure the D15SE will be OK for your room. I can understand where you're coming from about the childproofing and aesthetics.

If you're hesitant, I'd recommend reaching out to Brian Ding about this by contacting him via his website or by phone. He hasn't logged into the forums for a while. You can find info on the Rythmik website.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Hi BGHD,

Just as an FYI, you're responding to a thread that is nearly 3 years old.

Regarding your question, you can still use a down-firing subwoofer even without having a concrete floor. You'll probably get more energy dissipated through the floor instead of directly into the room, but remember that bass frequencies are omnidirectional.

I used to have a down-firing sub (not Rythmik) with carpet and plywood flooring. It worked fine, no issues. I'm pretty sure the D15SE will be OK for your room. I can understand where you're coming from about the childproofing and aesthetics.

If you're hesitant, I'd recommend reaching out to Brian Ding about this by contacting him via his website or by phone. He hasn't logged into the forums for a while. You can find info on the Rythmik website.
    Haha, yeah didn't realize thread was so old. Probably old info to others. Did a little more digging and came across Brian's recs to do a stomp test, so gonna try that first. Seems nearest to wall is more secure/stable too. If not, apparently some of the sub pads (Auralex? Sub-dude?) may work if have problems. Thank you so much for the recs.

BTW, all my Ascend/Hsu gear going strong, just helping a friend w/ a sub rec.

Thanks for the info Dark Ranger.
    Main TV setup:
    Ascend 340 SE fronts
    200 surrounds
    Sony SS-CSE Atmos Speakers
    Hsu VTF3-mkII
    Yamaha 7850 receiver
    LG UBKC90 Blu Ray player
    TivoHD
    PS3 (yup, not a 4!)

Keyboard setup:
    170SE surrounds