Thread: LCR Sierra review

Default LCR Sierra review

About one month ago I received my Sierra LCR combo from Ascend and wanted to give them a good listen before posting a review.

In short I am extremely happy with the purchase. I'll start with packaging and how they look since that's the first impression. The speakers are double boxed and firmly packed with ample cushion. You can tell that Ascend takes all precautions to make sure the speakers you take out of the box are exactly like the ones they put into the box. I went for the b-stock and two speakers look brand new (couldn't find the defect on the center or one of the fronts) and the other has two scratches on the right side. You really can't tell much unless you look for it. I purchased the piano gloss and the fit and finish is top notch. They look fantastic.

Performance wise the Sierras sound very much like what you might read from the reviews on this and other message boards. The one thing that I read that I can attest to is that the soundstage is top notch. All instruments/voices are distinct and have their place. I'm not one to really listen at loud levels but when my wife and 5 yo were out of the house I cut them loose and they didn't seem the least bit strained.

About the ONLY thing I remember reading from other reviews that I don't agree with is that most prefer to listen to music with the Sierras in 2-channel mode. The 2-channel sound is very pleasant but I still like the 7 channel enhanced mode where the sound envelops me (Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is killer in this setting).

All in all an excellent purchase that I am very happy with. These are speakers that any HT enthusiast should put on their short list especially when considering the price. When you add in the personnel attention to customer service (Dave quickly answered several of my emails very quickly) this is a product hard to beat.

Default Re: LCR Sierra review

Thanks for posting the wonderful review and I am pleased that you are enjoying the Sierra-1.

I must agree with you -- Dark Side of the Moon in true multi-channel or even enhanced (matrixed) is fantastic (most Floyd is )

Enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com