Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3d Sierras

Default Re: 3d Sierras

Quote Originally Posted by sbeveraggi View Post
    But recently, I tried an external DAC (quite cheap, actually) for my Mac Music Server. The improvement was night and day. It took my Sierras to a whole new level.
    Which DAC was this? was it V-DAC from MF?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Which DAC was this? was it V-DAC from MF?
    It's the HRT Musicstreamer+ (around $300).
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...streamer+.html

A very entry level DAC, but bested the internal DACs of my Denon by a huge margin. I also compared a CD through my Oppo 980H vs AIFF through MS+.
    I prefer the sound of the MS+, perhaps a tad less detailed, but fuller and with a bigger sounstage.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    To obtain accurate sound it starts with the speakers with room acoustics a very close second if not just as important. I have been adding room treatments to my room and tweaking speaker placement for years and the improvement has been fantastic. Electronics will improve the sound but you will be better served starting with the room and placement. When you go back to the audio shop to take another listen just look around the room, ceiling, floor,and walls. How far are the speakers off the side and back walls.
    Reflections kill clarity and placement sets up your sound stage. What you already own should give you some nice sound!
    Thanks for your input, debo.
    It was a very plain 12x12 listening room, filled with equipment, carpeted, no visible room treatments. Speakers were positioned on stands in the middle of the room, 2 feet from the rear wall. Lots of space on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    External DAC vs what? The internal DAC on your receiver?
    Cheap external DAC vs DACs in the Denon 2809. HUGE difference.

Have you ever tried the analog outputs from the Mac Music server into the Denon?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Have you ever tried the analog outputs from the Mac Music server into the Denon?
    Mac's optical out - optical cable - Denon optical in.
    VS
    Mac's usb out - usb cable - HRT Musicstreamer+ DAC - rca cables - Denon rca in.

These are the connections I tried, and liked the 2nd one a lot more.

I don't own the Sierra speakers (yet) but thought I'd share my recent personal experience with different amps.

I currently have a pair of Boston Acoustic MR-50's (nice little speaker) and was driving them with a Sansui AU-919. My CD player is an Onkyo DX-7555. Also have a technics turntable. Not top of the line by any means but great sound none the less. Everything but the CD player was purchased recently on E-Bay.

From the minute I hooked everything up and put on that first LP (Larry Carlton, "Last Night"), I didn't want to leave my office. I went on a frantic search to find and purchase as many CD's and LP's as I could find and afford.
    My only complaint was the very top end treble on the Bostons. Most of what I listened to was sheer bliss. However, when I put on Linda Ronstadt "Round Midnight", I couldn't turn down the treble enough!

I initially thought the problem was the speakers (and it may yet be) so, after much research, I ordered a set of Sierra's. In the mean time, I had a technician check out the Sansui and found it did have some problems and needed re-capped. Since I didn't know if that would cure the top end issue, I canceled the Sierra's.

Now amp-less, I needed something so that I could listen to all the new music
    I had aquired and ended up with a used Denon PMA-720 Integrated amp. I believe it's rated at around 90 watt per channel. It works as designed and I can still hear all of the notes. The problem is, I just don't want to, and I don't.

Had I not had the Sansui first, I'd probably be very happy with the Denon.
    As I said, it does play the music and I've actually heard things that I didn't with the Sansui, so it is very accurate. It's what it lacks that bothers me.

So yes! Amps do make a huge differance in sound quality!

If, after the Sansui is repaired, the upper treble problem is still there, I will join the ranks of Sierra owners. I just hope the light cherry is still on sale by then.