Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascend 3.1 setup?

Default Ascend 3.1 setup?

hey gang, I've got a question. what do you think about pairing fronts Sierra-1 with a center CMT-340?

it's a budget problem. I can get all fronts and center CMT-340 and a better sub (say HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3) or I could get fronts Sierra-1 and a center CMT-340 and a decent sub (HSU VTF-1). But I can't really spring for three Sierras and the nicer sub (I have an agreed upon budget).

there's more info (so I don't have to retype it): link from AVSforum thread

thoughts?

thanks

Default Re: Ascend 3.1 setup?

How wide is your viewing area and how far off center of your display will people be seated? If you're not sitting off to the sides you might consider skipping the center channel.

The way it's set up now people will be sitting pretty far off center. The living room is horseshoe shaped.

Have you gotten your receiver yet?

I'll summarize your situation from what I've read. You live in a condo, so volume levels are a concern. You are as interested in music reproduction as movies. There are some unspecified physical restrictions preventing you from going 5.1 instead of 3.1. You are more likely to watch dialog driven or older films than action movies full of special effects and explosions.

What is your physical relationship to your neighbors? For instance, if you live above another condo, a down firing sub even at moderate levels will probably bleed through the floor enough to annoy.

I have other possibilities to consider:

Do 3.0 with all Sierras. Dump the sub. Some Sierra owners actually prefer to listen to music without a sub. This would be the most neighbor friendly consideration.

Do 2.1 with Sierras and a Rhythmik F-12. Take the money you'd spend on a 340 SE center and add it to your sub budget. While Hsu's are well regarded, nothing matches the speed of a servo sub. I had a little Infinity 10" servo sub for 20 years and it was remarkable. The Rhythmik technology is much more advanced. Plenty of people are just fine running a phantom center.

I'll leave responses regarding mixing Sierras and a 340 center to those more knowledgeable.

Now that I have a proper 7.1 system, it's hard for me to consider not running surround. Surround can be so much more than directional effects. There's lots of material out there that use surrounds to create an immersive sound stage, many movie scores use the surrounds to out you in the middle of the music instead of sitting in front of it. Even subtle effects, such as night forest scenes with frogs and crickets all around draw you into the film.

No matter what you decide, if Ascends are used, you'll be a happy camper!

Yeah DougMac, you nailed the summary.

I live above another condo. I was hoping I could get a Subdude and combine that with just keeping the sub turned down for now. Since I have the green light from the wife right now, I thought I should go ahead and get the sub. Who knows if she might change her mind later...

Interesting idea about 2.1 with the Rhythmik sub. Can you explain what the speed of the sub translates to? Does it mean more clarity and transparency of low range? Or something else?

Thanks.

Ok, so I did a quick scan of the Rythmik website, and the Rhthmik F12 in black oak with the A300 standard amp looks like it would fit in my budget if I went with the two front Sierra-1s. It's $200 less than the F12 SE.

Does anyone know what difference is between the A300 vs the A370PEQ? Other than the EQ.

And yes, I ordered the Pioneer VSX-919. Backordered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by aggieactuary; 01-22-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aggieactuary View Post
    Yeah DougMac, you nailed the summary.

Can you explain what the speed of the sub translates to? Does it mean more clarity and transparency of low range?
    Thanks.
    Even though I used the term "speed", it may not be an accurate description of the quality of sound. When I was researching, I called Magnepan to describe my room size and look for a sub recommendation. They said to check to make sure the sub was "fast" enough to keep up with the Maggies.

Perhaps accuracy, good transient response and lack of harmonic distortion would be better terms. I'm sure Dave or others can give a better explanantion to the quality often referred to as "speed".

Keep in mind Rhythmiks are available here at the Ascend web site.

Too bad about the condo situation. I would miss being able to "let fly" with a good action movie or concert video every once in a while We sit in the middle of 13 acres so concerns about disturbing the neighbors is not on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by aggieactuary View Post
    Does anyone know what difference is between the A300 vs the A370PEQ? Other than the EQ.
    It's 70 less watts of power, which is not very significant, maybe 1dB of less output capability. Also the A300 does not have the single channel parametric EQ,
    -curtis

Thanks DougMac and Curtis.

Does Ascend sell Rythmiks that are not listed on the website? Specifically, I'm interested in the F12 instead of the F12 SE. The SE would be ideal, but I don't live in an ideal world (I live in my own mind).

DougMac proposed what I was thinking when I was asking you about layout. With your level of music listening, I'd go 2.1 with the better sub and then add a Sierra center at a later date if needed when funds are available.