Thread: Center or No Center

Question Center or No Center

I would like to set up a surround speaker system in a small (10.5x11) room.
    The system is only for music such as SACD Surround. The Sierra 1’s would be the main (front) speakers with two rear side speakers and maybe a sub woofer.
    Could I get away without using a center speaker? I am trying to avoid the extra cost of a center speaker and the fact that the mains are not that far apart. (6 feet max) Anyone have an opinion?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Default Re: Center or No Center

I think the center channel is needed , it has a large role in 5.1 channel music and movies .

Mark
    Bunch of speakers

In a small room and if your home theater listening will primarily be on-axis (sitting directly in between the front left/right speakers) you could get away with using what is known as "phantom center" mode in your receiver. This works well but once you move off-axis, center channel dialogue and effects lose clarity...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

That's almost the size of my room. I have the 170's for the mains and a 340 center. I also sit in the middle and the mains are about 6ft apart. What Dave suggested is a good idea but when you have people sitting left or to the right of you then that's all they will hear. With a center, the vocals are spreadout and makes a better 5.1 surround. The mains are are for left and right sounds.