Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sierra Towers?

Default Re: Sierra Towers?

I would like to see one of the next speakers be a dedicated center channel sierra speaker, for 2 reasons,

a. more information comes out of the center channel than any where else and a higher quality speaker there I think makes sense. (Please don't mistake me for saying the others are not highend though)

b. The smaller Sierra's when laid sideways looks undersized for a center channel, and probably don't quite have the symmetry of sound that the 340's would (just from their symmetry). If Dave took 2 Sierras stuck the 2 tweeter sides together and had the input resistance match the regular Sierra's (8 ohm I believe) I'd be set :-D ( though perhaps a little wider that what I was envisioning, seriously though I would order that model as the center if it still timber matched the other sierras as well in that format).

c. I'd still need the surrounds after that; would the hypothetical .5's make sense there? maybe; I have a bit of trouble handling $900 for the rears and the even the size of the 170's is larger than I'd like (being married & all... ). I haven't bought yet but will be within a couple months. The selling point of the .5's is they'd be (I'd imagine) better timber matched than the 170 or the 200s & likely of bamboo w/ matching colors, if they were a bit smaller than the 170's and in the $450 range or slightly higher I think they'd sell very well.

Having said all that though, if Dave tells me to get Sierra all around because that's the best thing to do to get the best sound, my next question will likely be and what would you recommend for the amp/subwoofer... :-).

David B

I think I've been following the forums & such for about 5 yrs planning to purchase soon..., and now it's almost here - I'll be like a kid in a candy store I know it :-).

Dave thanks for making a heck of a set of speakers at such a great price!!!

I would skip the towers, and build an even better monitor at the next price point up. Most people are going to use a sub and/or multi subs, so they would just be chopping the towers off at the knees anyways, with their crossover. (Bass management).

My Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors have that extra sparkle that my current Sierra's do not. Hopefully the next Ascend speaker can get me closer to that sound for less $$$$.

Plus make the company a nice profit, by filing in the void!

An updated tweeter like what happened with the SEs would be a wonderful idea. I definitely feel that the treble is recessed compared to many other bookshelf monitors I've heard.

I like the idea of a more robust center, or an 'SE' version. Though, that immediately brings to mind something slightly bigger for the L/R's as well, a la 340. Works for me! I don't think I throw my money down for towers though - I've invested too much in subs to do so.
    Jon O.

If. the past is any indication I would think that an SE update to the current Sierra1 is likely to occur.

With regards to a Tower or a Sierra like bookshelf 2 way. I would like to see greater efficiency say 92+ at 1w/1m, with a fairly flat impedance, extended frequency response, and higher power capability.

Thumbs up Re: Sierra Towers?

Tough crew I see............

92+ efficiency, fast attack/low slop, extended response(how low do you guys think a 5" driver will go efficiently and still produce?) and higher power out of a driver that size could prove to be problematic IMO (I'm not an engineer by any means).

Now that Dave has had the Sierra on the market for a long time(and has had alot more time to listen as well), and has heard the accolades and criticisms from fans and foes alike, he has an even better idea of what he can improve on, especially if he feels that sales would justify a higher budget(risky).
    He does have quite a bit of experience with Bamboo and it's properties now, that will help designing the next enclosure I would think.
    I'm sure a larger enclosure with (2) drivers has been considered, as well as a completely new driver design....we'll have to wait and see what he comes up with.

BTW I saw a post about 170's as surrounds.....they sound outstanding as surrounds to me, but unlike you I'm not listening to someone complain about their size...............

Good Luck Dave, you know I'll be watching this....good stuff..............

I love Daves response in this thread post no.9
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4290