Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Towers?

Talking Sierra Towers?

First I am sure that I am not the only one who can't say how much I love my Sierra-1s and Ascend 7.1 system.

And I know how much Dave must have on his plate, with all the moving set backs, problems, and headaches, but..........

As part of the natural evolution of the unique Ascend Acoustics Sound, it just seems logical, to see some kind of tower come out of Dave's Secret Laboratory.

It could come in the form of a sound tower with greater bottom end extension, clearer midrange and loftier highs with added air, adding more pinpoint soundstage and provide that wall of music where the speakers just disappear into the room, and all you hear is music not speakers. Ahh, the perfect recipe for pure 2.0 ch audio.

It would be great to have a Sierra tower of power under $2k, something that would compete and outperform, say, the Salk's SongTowers and for less money.

I know Dave must have something cooking, and I just can't wait to hear about it.

Impressions anyone?

Dave?

Best Regards,
    Ken
    Last edited by Timbre; 01-17-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    Sierra 1 R/L
    CMT-340 SE Center!
    CBM-170 SE Surrounds
    HTM-200 Rears
    HSU VTF-3 MK2 Sub
    Arcam AVR300 Receiver
    Arcam DV79 CD, DVD, DVD-A Player
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player
    Sony Bravia KLV-V40A10 40" HD LCD

Default Re: Sierra Towers?

I would buy them for sure!

Hmm. I have listened to the SongTower and was impressed. I think the amount of bamboo required for Sierra towers would increase the price significantly higher than SongTower. Would an MTM design like 340 improve the sonics of Sierra further and would it better ST? I think the transmission line design might be playing a major role in ST rather than just being a tower.

The transmission line design is to aid in the bass, correct? Bass wise, the ST and Sierra are close.

Going to two woofers means each woofer does half the work, which not only would improve output, but lower distortion levels.

That said, I think going to a tower hits the value of the speaker. It is heavier/bigger, so it will cost more to ship the cabinets to Ascend, and cost more to ship the speaker to customers.
    -curtis

Not sure if the difference was Bass. When I heard it, the bass was actually under emphasized. I don't know, the impression from my listening was it was a little clearer. I played a tenor saxophone recording from Sonny Rollins ('St. Thomas' from 'Saxophone Colossus'), and I was really impressed with the mids.

I listened to them at someone else's house and there was no direct comparison between Sierra and ST. I'm happy with Sierra considering that they are half the price and give me more placement options.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That said, I think going to a tower hits the value of the speaker. It is heavier/bigger, so it will cost more to ship the cabinets to Ascend, and cost more to ship the speaker to customers.
    Isn't UPS' limit 70lbs? That would be hard to pull off in bamboo. We've seen how much more other ID speaker companies shipping charges are when they have to use a freight company.

I say make it out of MDF if need be, throw 2 woofers, a dedicated mid range and an upgraded tweeter and you'd have an awesome high-end offering!

More drivers do not necessarliy make a better speaker. Maybe more costly, with a way more complex crossover. Sure, more drivers will play louder with less distortion, but some of the best, or should i say hi-end designs, use a 2-way design. I recently saw a tower that uses a single, 3" driver. That's it. 1 full range driver. The pair cost "under" $4000.

I say for those who desire a tower, maybe an MTM design in a slim column style enclosure would be doable. Maybe use a hybrid of materials for the cabinet to keep costs under control. Maybe use a bamboo upper enclosure with an MDF bottom half grafted together. There could be a transmission line built in from the bamboo part and running through the MDF portion to an exit point at the base. This would extend bass response.

Just some toughts.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default What Needs Fixing?

I think there's been other threads about Sierra Towers. The part I seem to miss is the specific shortcomings proponents hope to address with a tower design. Related to that question is the original goals Dave had in mind when he designed the Sierra.

As mentioned, adding drivers may address issues, but adds many more. There are some designers who feel a well executed two way speaker is the ideal (sound familiar?).

I wonder what a Sierra Tower could accomplish that a set of Sierra's and a Rhythmik Sub (or two) can't.

Finally, I think we need to consider Ascend's business model. Towers may or may not fit into the business plan.

I do have to admit that as a former owner of a pair of DCM Timeframes (aka "Hershey Bars" by my wife), the transmission line idea does intrigue.

Default Re: What Needs Fixing?

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I think there's been other threads about Sierra Towers. The part I seem to miss is the specific shortcomings proponents hope to address with a tower design. Related to that question is the original goals Dave had in mind when he designed the Sierra.

As mentioned, adding drivers may address issues, but adds many more. There are some designers who feel a well executed two way speaker is the ideal (sound familiar?).

I wonder what a Sierra Tower could accomplish that a set of Sierra's and a Rhythmik Sub (or two) can't.

Finally, I think we need to consider Ascend's business model. Towers may or may not fit into the business plan.

I do have to admit that as a former owner of a pair of DCM Timeframes (aka "Hershey Bars" by my wife), the transmission line idea does intrigue.
    A Sierra tower would address the current deficiency with the Sierras, which is that there's nothing else for me to spend money on..