Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would a pair of Ascend speaker costing $2K look like

Default What would a pair of Ascend speaker costing $2K look like

All,

I have been tracking ascend forum regularly and generally this topics gets thrashed badly. Last time someone started a thread around Sierra floor-stander, people questioned the wisdom of a floorstander.

Ascend is one of two brand I know of where everyone who owns it loves it (other one being Salk). One thing I like about Salk is there are options at every price-point. While not everyone might agree, both Salk and Ascend and generally perceived to be great value for money speakers that can beat speakers many time their price. Having said that, I am pretty sure if Dave were to design a $2K pair of speakers, I am sure they would sound better than Sierra (here comes the assault ). I agree they wont be twice as good, but would be better

I did not say a $2K floorstander because he might think he can get more out of a large bookshelf in MTM format.

What do you guys think this pair of speaker could look like?

Dave if you ever consider it, take my deposit 6 months before you deliver it

Default Re: What would a pair of Ascend speaker costing $2K look like

He could make a signature edition of the Sierras and go all out with the best drivers he can get his hands on.

I think that coming from a company like M&K, where all of their speakers were basically sattellite/subwoofer systems, Dave would tend to think that way for the philosophy at Ascend as well. If he did go for a no holds barred speaker like you suggest, it may attract a new market segment, but who could say for sure.

Would be interesting though!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Floorstander would probably more than 2k ... 3 way with a mid and 4x8 inch woofers (around)

. . . . . .
    Regular and SE version shown above (SE on the right)
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 02-14-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I think that coming from a company like M&K, where all of their speakers were basically satellite/subwoofer systems, Dave would tend to think that way for the philosophy at Ascend as well. If he did go for a no holds barred speaker like you suggest, it may attract a new market segment, but who could say for sure.

Would be interesting though!
    Plus-1

I hope he does it.
    Many of us have great subs now, so a signature satellite would be an easy purchase.

Well depending on the price range there are many options:

A $2K - $2.5K speaker - It could probably be a MTM using scan-speak drivers. I think considering the supply chain that Dave has built, he could offer more value than anyone else I know of (and at better quality including finish). I am particularly impressed by source Dave has for his cabinets. They can beat highest quality custom cabinets but I think because of the source Dave has established, he saves customers money compared to custom ones.

A $3K - $3.5K speakers - This is where we start getting into a serious 3 way sub that has reference level transparency, drivers with lowest non-linear distortion and in room bass that goes to mid to high 30s. Probably very high quality 7" or 8" woofer, a dedicated mid and a very transparent twitter (how about a scanspeak radiator or a ribbon)

Anyways just my personal opinion. I am sure if Dave were to go down this path, he would painstakingly create the best speaker at any price point he picks up. Point here being I would get super excited about 1-2 more offerings from him at different price points

one thing to remember, I don't think Dave has ever used "off the shelf" drivers in any Ascend speaker.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-14-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    -curtis

I wonder if Dave will ever consider building a metal-based tweeter instead of the soft domes he's used so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kabeer_g View Post
    Having said that, I am pretty sure if Dave were to design a $2K pair of speakers, I am sure they would sound better than Sierra (here comes the assault ). I agree they wont be twice as good, but would be better
    You can be sure that if we were to do a Sierra floorstander, it would absolutely offer more than just better bass and greater output when compared to our Sierra-1. We would not introduce such a product unless it provided better performance from top-to-bottom...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Floorstander would probably more than 2k ... 3 way with a mid and 4x8 inch woofers (around)

. . . . . .
    Regular and SE version shown above (SE on the right)
    Nice -- these look great!

Cabinet on the right would be quite costly if done in bamboo but I really like that look.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com