Thread: Sierras pushed with an amp?

Default Sierras pushed with an amp?

OK this is pure folly (i.e. not in my budget & don't plan to buy now) but I'm curious what an amp would do for my Sierras. I currently have 3 Sierras across the front, an old Velodyne sub (next component in line to be replaced) & two Polk Audio RT f/x for surround powered by a Yamaha 863 receiver (735W). I think it sounds very nice but of course being the HT enthusiast (i.e. never satisfied) I always think "What would this sound like if I added an amp?"

So is there anyone else out there who was running a similar setup and added an amp? What are your general impressions? What amp did you buy? What was the bang for buck?

Again not really looking for answers because I'm gathering data to purchase an amp...just curious about future money I'm likely to spend!

P.S. Wasn't really sure what forum this was best for. If a moderator feels this is better suited in the Technical or Setup forum please move.

Default Re: Sierras pushed with an amp?

I am leaning towards emotiva xpa3 or upa2. I am still trying to decided wether is needed the 200 rated power or i can get away with 125 watts. Is a matter of need or want. Emotiva seems pretty bang for the buck for me as far as seperates goes.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    I am leaning towards emotiva xpa3 or upa2. I am still trying to decided wether is needed the 200 rated power or i can get away with 125 watts. Is a matter of need or want. Emotiva seems pretty bang for the buck for me as far as seperates goes.
    The Emotiva 125 watts is a true 125 watt amplifier. This amp is more than enough for any of the Ascend speaker line up
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Thats what i thought. But there must be a reason why the sierra are rated at 200 watts. If i can get a way with 125 watts, then i save half of what i will spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    The Emotiva 125 watts is a true 125 watt amplifier. This amp is more than enough for any of the Ascend speaker line up

I guess the question is at what point when adding an amp is their a noticeable difference vs running with a receiver.

For example my receiver is rated 105 Watt @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Will adding an amp (like the Emotiva UPA-2) be a "WOW!" factor or will it take an audiophile to notice? Is it a watts/per channel question where at a certain point a dedicated amp becomes an obvious need?

It takes a doubling of amp power to gain 3dB of headroom. So if all things are equal, going from 100wpc to 125wpc will not even get you 1dB of headroom.

In my experience, good clean power comes into play at louder volumes and adds quality to dynamics(peaks) at those volumes.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Thats what i thought. But there must be a reason why the sierra are rated at 200 watts. If i can get a way with 125 watts, then i save half of what i will spend.
    that rating is MAXIMUM continuous power....not MINIMUM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    I guess the question is at what point when adding an amp is their a noticeable difference vs running with a receiver.

For example my receiver is rated 105 Watt @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Will adding an amp (like the Emotiva UPA-2) be a "WOW!" factor or will it take an audiophile to notice? Is it a watts/per channel question where at a certain point a dedicated amp becomes an obvious need?
    I noticed a definite difference when I ran the pre-outs on an old Pioneer SX-727 receiver to my Emotiva UPS-2 amp. The overall stage seemed to grow a bit. I also noticed an increase in overall frequency response (bass) and articulation. The SX-727 was only rated at 40 watts, but we're talking about a 70's receiver that published true specs.

My room is around 14 by 13. The UPA-2 (125 wps) is plenty of power to bring the Sierra's to ear splitting levels. I'll actually be accepting delivery on a UMC-1 preamp tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my vintage stuff. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I also had the Sierra's, at one point, connected to a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver. Even when ran in pure direct mode, there was absolutely no comparison in sound quality when the UPA-2 was added.

The Yamaha is now the preamp section for a UPA-7 amp in my home theater setup. With the amp, there was a big increase in clarity versus when the Ascend CMT-340 SEs were being driving by the receiver's power.

I don't think that you can really go wrong adding a good quality amp.

Good luck on your search.