Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ordered CBM-170 can't wait (paradigm comparison)

Quinn - I am chuckling here... The debate over "Chinese Vs. American made" when I compared Hsu to SVS subwoofers was pretty intense.

And I know what you mean. My family owns 2 manufacturing companies in the States, one actually building pro audio speakers.

My auto dealerships are all domestic lines.

I am about as "pro-American" as you can get. There is a reason people are building a lot of speakers in China. When is comes down to shopping, very few people care where the product was made, including Ascend as a company. This is not a shot at Ascend, just a statement of fact. David buys his subs from Hsu because these Chinese made subwoofers sound great, and are also profitable.

Most people look at the bottom line price, and bang for the buck. Hsu was able to bring out the 2nd generation VTF-3, and lower the price 20 %, by making them in China.

It has occured to me that a solution in today's world is, if buying American is important, to get Ascend speakers and SVS subwoofers...

Comments ?

I have viewed a few American-made/foreign-made debates but have never taken part. Living in a typical small and job-hungry town in Iowa I have always wondered what the balance sheet looked like that entices American companies to have their products built overseas. Here in Iowa there is a high quality workforce that would be willing to build products (like speaker enclosures) at a pretty reasonable wage. Our cost of living is substantially lower than metro areas so people can make ends meet at a significantly lower wage scale. Iowa has their Iowa Values Fund (to entice new business) that is grant money available for building infrastructure and tax incentives are available also. Seems to me that maybe the same cost saving opportunities are available here in the US but are not being taken advantage of.

Randy

Aside from the American-made/foreign-made debate, what I like is the fact that Ascend assembles, inspects, and tests each speaker, all in one facility before it is shipped to the customer.

-curtis

Yep - The Quality Control of the Ascend stuff is darn good. I do find it ironic that a lot of Rocket speaker buyers get SVS subs... and Ascend buyers get Hsu subs (part China/part America for each) ... SVS also does similar quality control that Ascend does, From what I have seen in both Hsu and Rocket products, the Qualty Control in the Chinese plant is excellent.

The American vs. China thing is simple for me. If I purchase something, I would like for the proceeds to remain in the U.S. Therefore, either the product must be made here, or the company itself is American. I would buy a "Chinese" sub, so long as the company is American. Of course it's a bonus if you have an American manufacturer producing in the U.S.

It's also good to see companies like Ascend offering such a high-value product. There's so many options when it comes to speakers, that I know I will never buy "foreign." That's my choice. I certainly don't have a problem if someone disagrees with it.

Of course I don't have to worry about that "Chinese" sub . . . I have a Titan.[]

Cliff