Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordered CBM-170 can't wait (paradigm comparison)

No questions. I was actually thinking the package with 340's up front and 170's for surrounds with the HK630 which puts the package in the neighborhood of $2300.

Regardless.....should be interesting comparing the RS550MK2's to the CMT-340m's. I have always wanted to hear the RS550's. Another fun review for you.

-curtis

Curtis, Even if you did that... with normal pricing, you are looking at about $2400 for the system, plus $100 shipping, $140 for stands, and $78 for mounting Brackets.. ot a bit over $2700 when the sale is done... or $2500 now... and that Rockets are $2650 now... so at any given time, the price is roughly $200 difference...

It is apparent, by the way, that Rocket sets things for systems as the way to get a bargain... Their discount on systems is a LOT bigger than Ascend's is... Or, if you flip it around... You could ALSO say Ascend keeps a lower mark up ALL the time....[]...

oops...I forgot about the stands, but in a package they will not be $140/pr.

Edit:

I just looked at the pricing on AV123 and could not find a package with the RS550MK2's.

So using the Package #5: RS 250MkII Front, RSC 200 Center, RSS 300 Rear
    This package is $1599. And then I think you can add a UFW-10 for $400. Bringing the total to $1999 before shipping.

The Ascend System 33-24; CMT-340 mains, CMT-340 center, CBM-170 surrounds, Hsu STF-3
    This package is $1668. Add stands and brackets for roughly less than $175, and you have $1843 before shipping.

-curtis

Curtis - Another fella had gotten the Mark II's for $200 more than the originals in a package... That being said... Your package works ok, too.. and when you factor in the finish... the pricing is pretty close... and in either case, TRY finding this kind of performance in a B&M...

On a side note... I did have word the Maple for the new VTF-3 was from the same source AV123 gets theirs.... I am REALLY tempted to grab a couple for our new basement theater... Picture a FP system, Onix Red 3's/Ref 2's/Ref 100 Center... Quad UFW-10's and Dual VTF-3/2's all in maple... The only thing holding me back is a primise to Beta Test the next Hsu Flagship.

Curtis - I am also counting the receiver... An H-K 630 (roughly $750 in a system) and the Denon 3805 ($690 in a system) ...

Defnitely can not be had in a B&M!

As for the maple VTF-3...like I said in HTF, what I saw and was told was that it is a vinyl finished and no difference in pricing from matte black. If it ends up a wood veneer, I will not complain!

-curtis

Craig,

That is a great price on the 3805, thread on HTF about price said one of the best deals from an authorized dealer was 850.00 for a b-stock unit at Dakmart.

Johnny, I think Craig is right, Ascend's markup is lower overall....whether you buy a receiver or not. Onecall's price on a HK630 is $718, and they are least expensive authorized online...and they are a volume dealer.

-curtis

Johny - That price on the Denon is likely cost... but if you think about it, you bought a good speaker package... The Factory direct guys have a good idea... sell the receiver at about cost, and get the speaker package sold...

And AV123 seems to give a 25% discount on the speakers as a package... Ascend gives about 7%... But the Ascend individual pricing is lower to start...

"Of course, the AV123 guys would want me to get a price with a custom finish, since the Rockets are a wood finish... I say this is close enough."

Then of course I'll want a price with the Rocket cabinet made and speaker assembled in America.