Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordered CBM-170 can't wait (paradigm comparison)

Yeah, I wonder who the first person was, hehehe. It is amazing what it will do for badly scratched discs.

UPDATE

I called David (great guy) up this afternoon and purchased the rest of my system (all 340s up front and a hsu vtf-3 mk2 - my 170s will go to surround duties). [8D]

It has been a long and windy road, but I have finally found something magical with the Ascends. The paradigms, axioms, and rockets were nice speakers, but I just preferred the accurate, balanced, and sonically pleasing sounds of the Ascends. It's obvious that a lot of time and careful engineering went into the development and design of these speakers. These are the real deal. The Ascends produce sound as it is meant to be heard - with a big grin on my face! []

eagerly awaiting next week's delivery...

cbm-170s

Nicely done... So the comparison to the Paradigms, what were your impressions ?

what an interesting comparison it was...

first off - i think both speakers sound good.

the studios were consistent. i mean consistent in that you won't get any surprises. i.e. "whoa, that sounded neat" you know what type of response you'll get with the studios and it's paradigm's trademark sound. craig you once described them as mechanical and i have to agree. still, a very nice and solid sound.

the ascends envelope you in music. no colorations or blankets. they're open for suggestion from your source material. i found that the 170s did a better job at separating instruments and vocals. some call this 'airy' (i believe). i think they excelled at that.
    the studios higher frequencies sounded more connected. still, that's just part of their signature sound.

the studios had more bass output. that was as expected with a lower freq. response and slightly larger driver. they do pack a punch. great little bookshelves, but they are a little pricey.

again, i would recommend that someone check out both speakers.

overall impression and conclusion of 170s?
    the 170 is proof that you do not have to spend an arm and a leg to obtain a quality speaker. they hold their own against speakers 2 - 3x the price that claim to hold THEIR own against speakers 2 - 3x their price. you do the math. the ascends will do the speaking.

cbm-170s

That was a well thought out and written summary. I am really looking forward to getting the 340's and the H-K 630 soon - they should ship this week.

Craig, I am also looking forward to you getting the setup.

-curtis

I also have a pair of Rocket 550 Series 2's on the way... The "package" price of the Rockets with a Denon 3805 is about $200 more than is the Ascend Package ... I will be doing a direct two channel comparison between the 340's and the 550's ...

Package price? What are in the two packages you are comparing? the RS550MK2's are $999/pr, and the CMT-340m's are $598/pr with stands.

Unless you are comparing a 5.1 Ascend package to a pair of RS550MK2's with a Denon?

-curtis

I believe from reading the AV123 Forum that a great deal can be had on a Denon receiver if ordered with (or if one has recently ordered) speakers. I don't think Craigsub gets any special pricing even though he is doing wonders for AV's business. I'm sure Dave F. is pretty happy with his great reviews also.

David

Curtis, When I figure package pricing, I use permanent pricing. The Rocket Package # 3... Consisting of 550's, 200 center channel (AKA Bigfoot), and the 300 surrounds, a UFW-10, and a Denon 3805 Receiver will sell for $2950 total... They still have "classic" 550's for appx. $2650 for the system... that will run until about September...

Ascend, If you order five 340's and an STF-3 Sub, with the H-K 630 Receiver is about $2650 now, and will go up September 1 by $100 plus the shipping, which is free now... Somewhere around $2800 then.

Of course, the AV123 guys would want me to get a price with a custom finish, since the Rockets are a wood finish... I say this is close enough.

Questions ?