Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordered CBM-170 can't wait (paradigm comparison)

In the very least, especially since you have a VTF-2, you will find the CBM-170 comparable to the Studio 20.

A few people have compared the CMT-340 to the Studio 60:
    http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=199

if you can, I suggest you order a pair of 340's to compare against the Studio 60's.

-curtis

sorry i didn't clarify that very well in the post...

i won't get studio 60s unless i'm sure that i'll be going with the paradigm setup.
    i'm probably going to base my decision on purchasing a pair of studio 60s or 340 l/r w/ custom stands on the cbm / studio 20 a/b comparison.

i'm trying to find more pictures of the custom 340 l/r w/ stands.

at this point i'm having a hard time justifying the risk of shipping a big pair of studio 60s plus having to ship again if i ever had warranty issues. my warranty would be through someone else.

oh...OK...I get it now.

Maybe those that have the 340's and stands can take a few pictures.....I can host them if necessary.

-curtis

UPDATE

sorry i've been so busy lately friends

small update here
    The Ascend CBM-170 is pretty darn amazing. I have not had a lot of time with it yet, but it is certainly holding its own against my v.3 studio 20s. I really enjoy the sound of these cbm-170s. Seriously amazed AND pleased that they are contending with the paradigm references...

thanks, I've been wondering.

more updates

truly blown away. that is the shortest and simplest sentence i can come up with to describe the performance of the cbm-170s for the cost. it's really still unbelievable. i wake up each morning, listen, and shake my head. i think dave has put little umpa-lumpas inside of these things.

i've auditioned them for long enough and my decision is to keep the ascends and sell the paradigms on ebay. i can't justify the costs of keeping the paradigms. for one, i'll need a special setup to mount the 20s as surrounds because they are so heavy. also, i'll need new stands if i purchased the 40s. then, that cc570 will also need its own stand because it will probably break my tv+stand. at least, i didn't feel comfortable leaving it sitting on top (my preference).
    now, this is not to say that the paradigms are not as_good. i just don't feel that they're as_good for me as ascend - for my money. not even close. <font size="1">(felt like i was paying for someone's porsche with the paradigms)</font id="size1"> dave - i'll keep paying for the umpa lumpas. ascend has obviously put a lot of hard work into their designs. catch ya later - i'm going to change CDs...

Glad to see you are really liking the Ascends Aaron, from your posts about the other speakers you tried, I thought you might.

Congrats Aaron. I'm ready for another person that can testify from personal experience that there are better values than Paradigm out there.

i still feel that paradigm is a good value. i think their monitor series is worth the $. their studio series is good, but i feel that you're paying a large premium for it. i wasn't too crazy about the rubber tops on the 20s. they are hard to clean and i feel like putting armor all on it.

quinn&johnny - ascend is worth every penny. paradigm ref. prices and other brands left me waiting on a 'wow factor' that never arrived.
    (to my ears) rockets were too laid back, axioms were too bright and ascends are just right. i'd grant this to a consistent flat response that keeps the speakers well balanced. this is not a knock on the other companies. it's just what i prefer. i hope that everyone out there can find what satisfies them. i definitely recommend getting out of the retail stores, b&m, etc. and checking out internet direct brands. i'm currently doing the same thing with my guitar (www.lakewood.de) the time and money is worth it.

i've said it on the avsforum and i'll say it here. you don't have to spend A LOT of money for a quality loudspeaker. the cbm-170s are irrefutably unbeatable at this price point. hands down. bar none. call the doctor. it's over, baby. [8D]