Thread: Older sub - FCR Sierra connected direct to sub

Default Older sub - FCR Sierra connected direct to sub

I recently purchased a LCR Sierra combo and so far I am really enjoying them! I have an older Velodyne sub that requires the speakers to connect as an input to the sub and then the individual speakers output from the sub to the receiver. There is no other way to connect the sub to the receiver (i.e. no sub cable output). My receiver has LFE/BASS OUT=BOTH with a 60hz crossover. It seemed to me that I wasn't getting the desired bass from the Sierras when listening to music until I used "Pure Direct" mode on the receiver. That seemed to employ a 2-channel signal with everything going only to the Sierras. That got me to playing with the receiver setup again and it didn't seem to matter if I selected LFE/BASS=BOTH, SWFR or FRONT. My guess is that this newer receiver (Yamaha 863) doesn't quite know what to do with the bass since it doesn't have the sub connected via a sub cable. To get the same bass output from the sub, that was coming from the Sierras with Pure Direct set to off, I have to jack the output up on the sub up to near max.

Note: These comments only refer to music listening. HT listening seems to be OK (although I wonder just what I might be missing here as well given the issues with bass in regard to music).

I really don't have any specific questions but am just looking for general comments and feedback. I'm hoping this is just a setup issue with the Yamaha receiver and sub but my gut is that it might be time to retire the old Velodyne. Problem is that after getting the Sierras a new sub isn't in the current budget!

Thanks for the commets.
    Last edited by wish; 01-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: Older sub - FCR Sierra connected direct to sub

On second check I did see the line-level output from the sub (two RCA jacks). I never noticed it (or forgot) as my prior & older receiver didn't allow me to connect via line level so I used speaker-level instead. I'm going to go to Best Buy today and buy a Y adaptor that should allow me to connect my sub directly to the receiver. I'm pretty sure this will solve my issue.
    Last edited by wish; 01-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Sub conneted via Line level out and much happier with bass distribution between sub and Sierras. Sub connected to receiver via line level out, Sierras set to small, LFE/BASS OUT=BOTH & crossover at 60. Apologies for the self conversation I'd delete the entire thread but only see where I can modify a post and not delete the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Sub conneted via Line level out and much happier with bass distribution between sub and Sierras. Sub connected to receiver via line level out, Sierras set to small, LFE/BASS OUT=BOTH & crossover at 60. Apologies for the self conversation I'd delete the entire thread but only see where I can modify a post and not delete the thread.
    Pleased to hear that everything is functioning fine now
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com