Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SACD or DVD-A?

I just hooked up the DVD-A capabilities of my Panasonic CP72, and I'm really enjoying the only two DVD-A's that I have, REM: Automatic for the People and Buena Vista Social Club. Right now I do not know if it is the higher resolution that makes the difference or the mix, all I know is they are very enjoyable. What I want is a universal player so I can enjoy both SACD's and DVD-A's.

-curtis

I've got a universal, but only one disc of each and no time to listen to any more at the moment. In three weeks or so I'll try some more out.

I'm using a Denon dvd-2900 universal player and the sound quality on both sacd/dvd-audio are fantastic. There are more selections in sacd than dvd-audio, especially jazz/smooth jazz, which I like.Not really interested in the video aspect of dvd-audio,just the music.There is nothing like listening to a well mastered sacd/dvd-audio disc.

subfree,
    eventhough they are both fantastic, do you have a preference of the two?

-curtis

I would like to upgrade to the not-yet-released Denon DVD-2200 universal player. My current favorite DVD-As are: "The Nightfly", "Hotel California", "Magnification", and "Fragile". I do have "DSotM" on SACD but for whatever reason have been underwhelmed with it and SACD overall.

From the 2900 to the 2200? Would that be an upgrade?

-curtis

Curtis, Subfree has the 2900. I have a Sony DVP-NS500V (SACD capability, no DVD-A). I'd be happy to have a 2900! []

Oooops...sorry. []

-curtis

Curtice,
    Out of the two formats, I have more of the sacd format.I would not say that one is better than the other,because its really how the particular discs have been mastered. I have some sacds that sound just a little better than red book cd. I have some dvd-audio discs that sound the same way. Then I have sacd discs like Hiroshima, "THE BRIDGE", that is outa site. Its all in the production.I have a "TAKE SIX" dvd-audio disc that blows my mind each time the sound of their acapela voices comes thru the cbm-170s mains and cmt-340 center/htm-200 surounds .For my musical preference sacd has more of a choice presently.

The Oct. issue of Sound & Vision has a Denon ad on the back cover for universal players featuring the DVD-2200, 2900, and 5900. I guess this means that the new 2200 is now widely available.