Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 or vista..?

Default Windows 7 or vista..?

Hi to all
    I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?

Default Re: Windows 7 or vista..?

Windows 7 without question. Much faster load time, programs run faster because of memory management, no lockups or freezing, ease of operation, seeing mulitple programs open at the same time. I will never own a PC with Vista ever again. Also Windows Professional is always stronger than Windows Home.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Windows 7 without question. Much faster load time, programs run faster because of memory management, no lockups or freezing, ease of operation, seeing mulitple programs open at the same time. I will never own a PC with Vista ever again. Also Windows Professional is always stronger than Windows Home.
    How does Windows 7 stack up to XP? We still have XP pro on all of our PC's and upgrading worries me
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Upgrading to a new OS without doing a clean install is always a worriesome ordeal.

By everything I have read, talking to friends, and having a trial version of Windows 7 on my laptop(not my main machine), it is better than XP. BTW, Vista also never touched any of my PC's.
    -curtis

There isn't a upgrade path from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, you will have to backup your files format your drive and do a fresh load of Windows 7 Pro. I did my XP Pro laptop last week and love it. However if your not having any issues with your XP Pro I wouldn't upgrade. I only did because I was having some drive problems and was going to reload anyway but if you have Vista the upgrades worked great.

Your right Curtis in not letting Vista touch your laptop.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    There isn't a upgrade path from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, you will have to backup your files format your drive and do a fresh load of Windows 7 Pro.
    Really? Hmmm....that changes my thoughts about "upgrading" all my machines to Windows 7.
    -curtis

I had Vista on my desk top and hated it. It would take 10mins to load. While it was doing that, it would do a million other things. Taking up my memory, which I don't have much of (literally). So I asked a buddy of mine to back convert to XP. Never been happier.

My wife has a new laptop,(ThinkPad) with Windows 7. It's alot better than Vista times 10. Shorter load times and it feels more stable than Vista. It looks like Vista but not as complicated. Although we have to get use to it, all in all it's a better OS than Vista.

I have Windows XP at work as well and love the heck out of it. Most stable OS I believe.

OK -- I am now excited to try Windows 7. Between our main office and my home, we have something like 8 PC's and 2 Laptops, all running XP Pro except 2 DOS/WIN 98 machines for some legacy engineering software and hardware.

XP Pro is fantastic, fast and stable but Win 7 is intriguing.

I can use a new laptop so I am looking for a good deal on something with decent graphic performance.

Is the new Core I7 that much better than Core 2 Duo? Seems to cost nearly twice as much in a laptop. Any recommendations? Dell has a decent deal on a Vostro 1520 machine but their laptops don't seem to hold up well with a lot of use -- I have owned 4 Dell laptops and the keyboards on each one have worn out overtime (keys breaking).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

If your going with a PC, I would look at Lenovo Thinkpads. The one I have is the SL410 from best buy. The "Thinkpad" series was made by IBM years ago. I've always used them and are very durable. I have an x-series from 2003 and it's still working like new. Sadly, IBM sold their Thinkpad division to Lenovo. I personally think the Thinkpad is reliable and durable PC laptop. Many corporate companies use these because of their stability. If you want graphics and not afraid of learning a new langauge, then consider Apple laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post
    If your going with a PC, I would look at Lenovo Thinkpads. The one I have is the SL410 from best buy. The "Thinkpad" series was made by IBM years ago. I've always used them and are very durable. I have an x-series from 2003 and it's still working like new. Sadly, IBM sold their Thinkpad division to Lenovo. I personally think the Thinkpad is reliable and durable PC laptop. Many corporate companies use these because of their stability. If you want graphics and not afraid of learning a new langauge, then consider Apple laptops.
    I agree. I have always had good luck with Thinkpads. I currently have one that is almost 5 years old and shows no problems at all.

Also, I am not a fan of Dell laptops. It was our standard for a while at a company I worked for...but they always had problems.
    -curtis