Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Windows 7 or vista..?

Default Re: Windows 7 or vista..?

Build a new PC with my son for Christmas. I had not built a PC in close to 10 years.

Loaded Windows 7 64bit...my first experience with W7...and was pretty painless. I have not used the system much, but my son has not run into any problems so far.

I loaded the free AVG suite for security, but I will look into the Microsoft Security Essentials.
    -curtis

Curtis,

If your kid is using the machine for gaming, I would go with Avast (or I guess AVG) over Windows Essentials.
    On a machine my son uses for COD and WOW, I found Essentials would kick in at times and suck up a good amount of processing power and affect performance. So, I installed Avast on that machine and it's been fine.

That said, I've been using Essentials on other machines in the house and have no complaints.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
    If your kid is using the machine for gaming, I would go with Avast (or I guess AVG) over Windows Essentials.
    On a machine my son uses for COD and WOW, I found Essentials would kick in at times and suck up a good amount of processing power and affect performance. So, I installed Avast on that machine and it's been fine.

That said, I've been using Essentials on other machines in the house and have no complaints.
    Thanks Mitch...
    He does not do heavy gaming on the PC. Stuff like COD he does on the XBox 360.
    -curtis

i use security essentials on windows 7, both a 64-bit desktop install and a 32-bit laptop install, and have not noticed any performance issues while gaming... this is interesting, though. i'll be keeping an eye on it now just to see if i find anything.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Lost in the boondocks of Connecticut, USA, Sol System, Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by bdfin View Post
    Well......many people don't mind paying a little more for something that works well. Nice looking is just a perk...... ( kind of like sierra 1's ) and these days the price difference in platforms is marginal
    Uh, bdfin, if you're talking about the price difference between an Apple laptop and a Windows laptop, the price difference if far from marginal. I just got my daughter a MacBook for Christmas, and the basic entry level version with minimal memory and hard disc was $1100. You can get a really good Windoze laptop for under $200 these days when Best Buy or PC Richards or whomever has a sale going on. The laptop I'm typing this on (A Toshiba satellite with a 17" screen, big drive, lots of memory, wireless, yada yada yada) cost me less than $400. Apple may have a *LOT* of advantages over Wintel in some categories, but price is not among them.

Ray
    Music is Art
    Audio is Engineering

Last week I made my XP Pro laptop and I love it. However, if you are not having any issues with XP Pro, I would not upgrade. I drive only and some are having problems because they are already going again, but if you have Vista, upgrades has worked great.