Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to 340SE's!

Default Re: Farewell to 340SE's!

Quote Originally Posted by lokimydog View Post
    Please let me know what your impressions are. I too am contemplating if I should upgrade my 340se's to the Sierra's. I mostly use my speakers for HT and listen to music through my IPOD dock. Are the Sierra's that much better for HT use with the sub ON. I run dual ULS-15's so I'm not worried about the bass. For me, the upgrade would be more cosmetic. Piano gloss would look sweet.

Is there a returning customer discount?
    You can just come to my place for a listen if you'd like.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    You can just come to my place for a listen if you'd like.
    Does he live near you?

Sure guys, I'll come back and give my impression. It might be a couple of weeks though just to give me time to compare, and to allocate listening time. I'm hoping I love the way they sound and I will admit, for $900 my expectations are quite high.

The wife called and said they came in today while she was at the house. In other words, no stranger stole them off my front porch. (In theory, always a risk)

There are several (glowing) professional reviews already though. I'll be more in the common man category.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    Does he live near you?
    I believe he is only 15 minutes or so away from previous posts.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the offer. From what I have read and heard, I know the Sierra's will sound great. I just want to know if they are that much better if most of my listening is HT? Are they worth the loss I'm going to take when I sell my 340's and spend another 600-700 hundred for a Sierra LCR setup. Maybe Azanon can chime in once he's demoed the Sierra's and properly broke them in.

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the offer. From what I have read and heard, I know the Sierra's will sound great. I just want to know if they are that much better if most of my listening is HT? Are they worth the loss I'm going to take when I sell my 340's and spend another 600-700 hundred for a Sierra LCR setup. Maybe Azanon can chime in once he's demoed the Sierra's and properly broke them in.
    Value judgments are subjective and different for everyone. Always better to judge for yourself.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis,

My ability to comment on HT applications will be very limited. The reason I say that is because I didn't get a Sierra-1 Center. Believe me I would have had my current HT setup had space for it.

Only have time for one quick comment so far:

Where's the Michael Jackson Thriller CD to go with the white gloves? Just kidding - those gloves were a nice touch, at least in theory. In practice, I preferred the more sturdy palm on speaker to ensure they weren't dropped. I"ll buff them later

A question; could someone explain why my graphs take a nosedive at 200hz, and the ones Dave have posted don't (meaning his hover at 85db+ until 100hz). I'm showing about 81db at 100hz, 79db at 80hz, and 77db at 50hz.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-12-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Sure, it's from the way they're measured, if something is wrong with the speakers, it'll show up >200hz, so the <200hz is useless, so taking port measurements would be a waste of time and resources...

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Sure, it's from the way they're measured, if something is wrong with the speakers, it'll show up >200hz, so the <200hz is useless, so taking port measurements would be a waste of time and resources...
    I assumed there's an explanation ...... so below 200hz is garbage then. Is there any short explanation why the test cant just be full range anyway?

It says at the bottom "on-axis freq response accurate to 250hz" on both.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Ahh.

You said, "If you notice on the frequency response graphs included with your speakers, it states directly on the graphs that the measurements are only accurate down to approximately 250Hz." On my graph, it doesn't say it like you just did, meaning the word measurements doesn't appear anywhere.

I wonder if he interpreted that the way I did, meaning the speaker you just paid $900 for has an "on-axis freq response accurate to 250hz". In other words, I couldn't tell it was actually a disclaimer and not a summary of the graph I was reading. Looking at the graph, that statement would fit both explanations!

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player