Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: filling stands and attaching Sierras

Default filling stands and attaching Sierras

I picked up some SP30 stands for my L/R Sierras. Works great and looks good.

- The 6x6" top plate seems to be a good size for the Sierra. I used two 1x6" strips of high-quality industrial velcro to hold the speakers in place. It seems to be VERY secure. I also read about using museum wax. What are some other suggestions for a secure, non-permanent mounting?

- I plan to fill the legs. Catbox litter, sand and steel or lead shot has been suggested. I'm leaning towards the lead shot, but I have not looked into availability or cost. How much to add for the greatest stability - I'm guessing 1/2 to 2/3 height? Or is there a benefit to filling up to the top? Where do you find lead shot, and how many pounds would I be looking at for this task??

BK

Default Re: filling stands and attaching Sierras

As for finding lead and steel shot, try calling a couple local gun/hunting shops in your area. They should have both in relative quantity for shotgun shell loading. Prices on line run anywhere from $12 to 25, depending on who and when you call.

My stands are empty but someone here will give you a ball park estimate on how much you'll need. I would think around 25 pounds? If you buy local you can start at 25# and go back for more if necessary.

arkiedan

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense. My brother belongs to an indoor range with a well-stocked shop attached, so I'll see if he can chase something down through them.

BK

Reality check time!

Some quick calculations on various filling weights for SP30 stands (3" diameter, 29" length):

Dry sand (1.8g/cc) = 13.3lbs/leg

Steel shot (7.9g/cc) = 58.5lbs/leg

Lead shot (11.1g/cc) = 82.2lbs/leg

BK

Quote Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post
    Reality check time!

Some quick calculations on various filling weights for SP30 stands (3" diameter, 29" length):

Dry sand (1.8g/cc) = 13.3lbs/leg

Steel shot (7.9g/cc) = 58.5lbs/leg

Lead shot (11.1g/cc) = 82.2lbs/leg

BK
    Whew! Reality check indeed. Seems to me sand is too light and would add little in the way of stability. And lead would bring your stands in at around 95 pounds each! Now that's stability!

Me? I'm leaving mine empty.

arkiedan

Empty is easier, and mine are still empty as a matter of fact. One of my Sierra's was tipped over by one of my friends! I'm not sure which one yet, still investigating. Thank goodness it didn't fall all the way over, the TV stopped it. So I"m gonna fill mine real quick!

Quote Originally Posted by mrvoid View Post
    Empty is easier, and mine are still empty as a matter of fact. One of my Sierra's was tipped over by one of my friends! I'm not sure which one yet, still investigating. Thank goodness it didn't fall all the way over, the TV stopped it. So I"m gonna fill mine real quick!
    Yeah, I try to keep my rowdy and clumsy friends out of my media room. Over two months and no problems with empty stands getting knocked over. Still, I had a buddy over last week and he couldn't resist reaching for one of my Sierras exclaiming, "Wow! Look at that beautiful finish!" Of course, I yelled at him, "Keep your bloody hands off!" No one touches my Sierras but me!

arkiedan

What the hell is wrong with everyone wanting to put finger prints on our Sierras? I mean come on! Didn't their mamas teach them any better?

Just got my Sierra speakers yesterday & am very excited to run some music and movies through them! I also have the SP30 stands and found this thread.

Did any one try the museum wax? If so how secure is it? Also I would assume that if using the museum wax that the rubber pads that are available for the stands aren't used (i.e. museum wax directly on the metal). Correct? I lean to the velcro for security but maybe the wax holds better than I'm anticipating.

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Did any one try the museum wax? If so how secure is it? Also I would assume that if using the museum wax that the rubber pads that are available for the stands aren't used (i.e. museum wax directly on the metal). Correct? I lean to the velcro for security but maybe the wax holds better than I'm anticipating.
    I use museum wax and it does work great, more secure than what you would expect. No reason to use the included isolation pads if using the wax - just be sure to use enough wax so that the speaker cabinet itself does not touch the stand top-plate.

Enjoy!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com