Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: filling stands and attaching Sierras

Default Re: filling stands and attaching Sierras

I followed Dave's direction and used Museum wax under Sierra-1's and 200SE's. I used large amount of wax and used isolation feet to ensure the speaker was not contacting the stand as I squished it in place (probably not needed). 2 years later I tried to remove the 200SEs to place on bookshelves and had to cut away alot of the wax with a plastic knife before I could even move the speakers at all. I think with museum wax for sure the speaker and stand will be well bonded. It was also very easy to remove museum wax from the speaker cabinet.

My biggest fear (with 2 little kids) is whether the speaker stand itself can be knocked over on hardwood flooring. Though I've sand filled, the little brass spikes in plastic cups look nice, but do not inspire my confidence. I don't know if anyone's tried museum wax under the speaker stands (instead of the brass spikes), but I'm tempted to try it and place the brass knobs cosmetically on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
    My biggest fear (with 2 little kids) is whether the speaker stand itself can be knocked over on hardwood flooring. Though I've sand filled, the little brass spikes in plastic cups look nice, but do not inspire my confidence. I don't know if anyone's tried museum wax under the speaker stands (instead of the brass spikes), but I'm tempted to try it and place the brass knobs cosmetically on top.
    This might work quite well. If you do try it, please post your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Question Re: filling stands and attaching Sierras

I have Sierras and SP-30s on the way! Where do you buy museum wax, anyway? And can I be certain that it won't mar the finish on the bottom
    of the Sierra cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebbi View Post
    I have Sierras and SP-30s on the way! Where do you buy museum wax, anyway? And can I be certain that it won't mar the finish on the bottom
    of the Sierra cabinet?
    You can find it at your closest Lowes or Home Depot, costs about $3 - $4 and you would only use a small portion of what you get.

It will not damage the finish of the Sierra-1 at all. Museums use this stuff to hold down ceramic vases, glass sculptures etc. Remember silly putty? It is a bit like that...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I use a white reusable putty (similar to blu tack, which I assume many use for this application) that I found at a local office supply store. It seems to do the job pretty well and also does not damage the finish. Is museum wax significantly better?

Got my Sierra 1's yesterday. Man, are they ever gorgeous in Espresso! Hope to get them playing by tomorrow.

Picked up dried playground sand at Lowe's today. Will fill the SP-30 stands later...

Museum Wax: the nice guy at Lowe's had never heard of it, and neither had the section manager. But they did have stuff called BlueStik (made by a company called DAP). Anybody used this stuff? Similar to Blu Tak, I guess. I'm paranoid about marring the finish on my speaks, especially within the audition period!

Thanks!

Museum Wax is made by a company called Quakehold. In California at least (for obvious reasons) there is a section of earthquake proofing goods typically near the fasteners section of Home Depot and they stock Museum Wax. However, in more seismically stable parts of the country they don't seem to stock itso you would be better served ordering from the internet. I think Home Depot sells an 11 ounce container in California but they may sell smaller sizes. Lowes and Home Depot have websites. You may want to see if you can find it for your local store on the websites before making a trip out.

I bought some museum wax made by "READY AMERICA" from Ace Hardware. They don't carry it in store but will have it shipped to any store that you want for pickup.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(mu...rce=GoogleBase