Thread: Audio set up

Unhappy Audio set up

Hello everyone,
    I hope that I am posting in the correct area. My problem is:
    I have a hk AVR 625 A/V Receiver. When I set up my system I did not connect any of my video components to the receiver because I am using a universal remote and did not see any need. I now want to set up my speakers but cannot get the avr set up menu to appear on my TV. I assume that it because there are no video links to the receiver. I have tried many different video connections to get the menu to appear but have had no luck.
    Can anyone tell me how to connect my avr to the TV to get the avr set up menu?
    Thank you for your time.
    Bob M

Default Re: Audio set up

Bob,

Tell us about your TV. What kind of inputs does it have? How do you have your components hooked up to it now?

It looks like you've got both HDMI and Component out from the receiver. The menu should show up on either output. You also have S-Video and composite out. I wonder if you have to start with composite to see the menu, then select the appropriate out (HDMI or component)?

Hi Bob,

Make sure that you have the "video monitor" ouput on the receiver connected to a video input on your television (you can use either the composite input or S-Video inputs on your TV etc.) Once this is connected, be sure to select this input on your TV (video-1, video-2, video-3 etc.).

Then hit the OSD button on the receiver and you should be good to go

BTW, was there ever an AVR-625 from Harman Kardon? Do you mean the AVR-525 or possibly the 635?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Smile Re: Audio set up

Thank you all for the help.
    I will hook up as suggested and let you know what happens. I have these great Ascend speakers and am not taking advantage of them. Davef you are right, my mistake, receiver is a 635.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Bobman

in the end it may be easier to have the video outputs lined up with the audio inputs, else you may have to switch the receiver over to each setup (dvd, game, tv) and then have to repeat the function on your tv for the video...plus, you're remote might have a code for the receiver, which would make this cake. the only downside might be that HK avr's upscale/adjust all video content i believe-- i don't think there is a passthru mode...

in addition to all of this your tv might, as mv tv does- have hdmi control, which means a device connected via hdmi could do partial control (select video source automatically, turn it on/off, etc.)

I'm planning to purchase a Sammy LED, either the Denon 1910/2310 and most likely the Sammy BD-P1600. How many HDMI cables would i need? i'll also have my Time Warner HD cable box. Would I only need 3 cables then?

and what would the connections be?

TV to cable box
    TV to AVR
    BluRay to AVR?

Pls advise.

TIA!

3 would do it!
    Jeff

3 hdmi cables sounds fine, unless that cable box has component and not a hdmi port; depending on your physical setup, you may want to get one longer hdmi cable that runs to the tv-- monoprice.com has 12 ft cables for around a few dollars, exceptionally cheaper than your local store would.

you could have all your inputs run to the denon, then the denon to your tv on one hdmi cable. the only thing is if you ever want to use your tv speakers, and not the stereo; there is a few diff. work arounds for that. including a setting for hdmi passthru, which the denon does to my knowledge, passing the information right to the tv, and not needing to be turned on itself (the denon that is).

thx debo & scape! yeah most likely will order thru monoprice. i might even swing by and pick it up (+/- 10min from wk) gonna mate em with my 170s, 340c and 200s, woot!