Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is the Sierra's competition 1k & under

Default So what is the Sierra's competition 1k & under

What is the competition for the Sierra-1 for 1k and under?
    I have not seen any posts where the public opinion claims that a speaker company is better or even neck and neck.
    Maybe I missed it.
    So are there any new brands that are competition, without the use of a sub??

PS
    (I am an owner of the Sierra's, so I know how good they are at their price point! I am planning on adding another pair but do not even know what to compare them to, being I bought the last pair years ago.)

Default Re: So what is the Sierra's competition 1k & under

I remember some people liking some pro monitors, but I can't recall the exact model... Think they were Mackie, though I don't recall exactly, think might have been the previous 824...

Besides that, I think you'd have to go used or DIY. Haven't heard anything yet myself which would fit these criterias...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 09-01-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Hi King, here is a comparison done in 2007 not long after the Sierras were introduced. Of course 2yrs in the speaker industry can be like a lifetime ago.
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-sierra-1.html

But what's weird, have you ever heard of the RBH Sound MC-6C? Have you seen it discussed anywhere else? I certainly haven't... And I somewhat keep up with the scene... I have hardly have ever seen it discussed. Yet, the Sierras have made quite a significant buzz. If the RBHs were of similar performance and high bang for the buck, wouldn't they have also made some noise?
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 09-02-2009 at 06:35 AM.

The comparison is only interesting in so far as the comments made 4 rewiewers about the Sierras strengths and weaknesses. The RBH loudspeaker I paid little attention to.

I have my eyes on the incredible Sierras and so of course I've also been looking for competitors. One that I'm aware of so far is the sealed three way NHT (Now Hear This) Classic Threes.

From NHT's website at
    http://store.nhthifi.com/Three?sc=12&category=1210

Specifications
    System type: Bookshelf Speaker
    Configuration - 3-way acoustic suspension design
    Woofer – 6.5" aluminum cone
    Mid-range - 2” aluminum dome
    Tweeter - ¾” aluminum dome
    Frequency Response - 45Hz- 20kHz
    Crossover Frequency – 800 Hz, 3.2kHz
    Crossover Slopes – 18 dB LP, 12dB HP
    Sensitivity - 86dB (2.83v@1m)
    Impedance – 8 ohms nominal
    Inputs – 2 each professional grade nickel plated 5-way binding posts
    Dimensions - 13.75"H x7.5"W x 10.375"D
    Weight - 20 lbs./9.1 kg each.
    Finish - High Gloss Black
    Sold Individually

They sell for US $700 a pair now. It's got some favourable professional reviews. Lots of people love them, but interestingly I've seen a couple of non professional reviewers (one on Amazon.com if I recall) say they didn't enjoy them because they thought they were not 'musical' or something like that.

If anyone has experienced both the Sierras and the NHT Classic Threes I would like to hear your comparative impressions, thanks!

Mark

The Classic Three is a very nice speaker. I have had them here in my house and compared them to the CMT-340SE. For the costs, IMO, the 340SE trumps it in terms of sound.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The Classic Three is a very nice speaker. I have had them here in my house and compared them to the CMT-340SE. For the costs, IMO, the 340SE trumps it in terms of sound.
    I agree with Curtis, which means that for us they don't come close to the Sierras.

Era D5 is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    But what's weird, have you ever heard of the RBH Sound MC-6C? Have you seen it discussed anywhere else? I certainly haven't... And I somewhat keep up with the scene... I have hardly have ever seen it discussed. Yet, the Sierras have made quite a significant buzz. If the RBHs were of similar performance and high bang for the buck, wouldn't they have also made some noise?
    Great observation!
    I purchased another pair of Sierra's today!
    You should get a commission.
    Last edited by King; 09-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.

I would not mind giving these a listening. The original Epiphany would also interest me. The original used would be pretty inexpensive.
    EpiphanyII http://www.odysseyaudiomx.com/odysse...I-AffAudio.pdf

original Epiphany http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html