Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The age old question????

Default Re: The age old question????

I have an Epik Dragon and they make great products. Its plug and play. Real simple.

arkiedan...where are you located? It may be easier (certainly cheaper), if you could find a Sierra owner nearby willing to have you over for a listen, or better yet, bring them to your place.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    arkiedan...where are you located? It may be easier (certainly cheaper), if you could find a Sierra owner nearby willing to have you over for a listen, or better yet, bring them to your place.
    I'm out here on the frontier in Conway, Arkansas, 25 miles NW of Little Rock. I never considered finding someone nearby who could demo the Sierras for me. Still, I've decided to go with the Sierras or just keep the Aperion towers so one more shipping cost won't hurt too bad. I'm now waiting for a return call from Ascend so I can place an order. Nowhere on the site (that I can find) is there any indication that speakers are in stock??? I won't place an order without knowing that.

Thanks, arkiedan

I am pretty sure all flavors are in stock. Either way, unlike other companies, Ascend doesn't charge your card until the speakers are shipped.

It will interesting to read your thoughts on comparing the two different speakers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
    I'm out here on the frontier in Conway, Arkansas, 25 miles NW of Little Rock. I never considered finding someone nearby who could demo the Sierras for me. Still, I've decided to go with the Sierras or just keep the Aperion towers so one more shipping cost won't hurt too bad. I'm now waiting for a return call from Ascend so I can place an order. Nowhere on the site (that I can find) is there any indication that speakers are in stock??? I won't place an order without knowing that.

Thanks, arkiedan
    Hi Arkiedan,

All finishes are in stock and we wil be able to ship your order this afternoon. My customer service associate is in and out of the office today but she will be there for the remainder of the day in about 20 minutes. If you wish, please PM me your phone number and I will have her call you immediately.

Also, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Arkiedan,

All finishes are in stock and we wil be able to ship your order this afternoon. My customer service associate is in and out of the office today but she will be there for the remainder of the day in about 20 minutes. If you wish, please PM me your phone number and I will have her call you immediately.

Also, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Take care!
    Thanks Dave & Curtis,

I've now spoken to Dave by phone and ordered the dark cherry Sierras. I also ordered the Epik Vanquish earlier today. Excited! Can't wait to audition them.

Meanwhile, until mid-next week I'll continue enjoying the Aperion towers, hoping the Sierras sound this good.

arkiedan

Did you get the Sierra-1 ? How do they stack up to the 6T. I have auditioned the 4T against the Sierra-1 and Sierra's sound better, but I have heard really
    good things about the 6T - hope you post your thoughts on both once you get the Sierra's.

Anyone out there know of some good stands in Piano black?

Quote Originally Posted by pkzaher View Post
    Did you get the Sierra-1 ? How do they stack up to the 6T. I have auditioned the 4T against the Sierra-1 and Sierra's sound better, but I have heard really
    good things about the 6T - hope you post your thoughts on both once you get the Sierra's.

Anyone out there know of some good stands in Piano black?
    I did get the Sierras - they arrived yesterday. I spent several hours listening to them and was very impressed, though it'll take a couple more days to decide between them and the Aperion 6Ts. I did switch back and forth a dozens times or so and my first impressions are:

The Aperion 6Ts are a fine-sounding speaker, with a good mid-range and bass extension. But, at this point I like the Sierras better. As they say; the difference is in the details. I was playing several classical piano, guitar and violin pieces and the difference is that the 6Ts sounded like a speaker playing good guitar and violin music. The Sierras, on the other hand, just weren't there. It was like I was in the hall listening to Segovia and Mutter playing. I also got the same impression listening to a few operatic pieces. The difference is not at all subtle - very noticeable. Both produce a great soundstage, good imaging and dynamics, although I'll give the nod to the Sierras. They handled symphonic music as well as the Aperions, which surprised me quite a bit. The 6Ts go lower but for me that's a non-issue since I've got the Epic subwoofer on the way (took 'em a week to get it in the mail, dam* it!)

That's my initial impression. At this point I'm likely going to return the Aperions and order a Sierra center. Now that I've heard detail like that I doubt that I can give it up. The sound of Eric Clapton's and Andre Segovia's fingers plucking the strings of their acoustic guitars is impressive.

We'll see over the next few days.

Oh....the stands. Like you I've found nothing but flat and satin black metal stands.

arkiedan
    Last edited by arkiedan; 09-25-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
    It was like I was in the hall listening to Segovia and Mutter playing.
    Anne-Sophie Mutter is one of my favs. It wasn't until I got my Ascends that I could hear her little breath intakes just before she starts a phrase on the Carmen-Fantasie album. Her playing on the Mozart Violin Concertos 3 &5 when she was just 13 is astounding, not for her chops, but for her mature musicality.

Glad you're enjoying the Sierras.

The ability to be neutral while being detailed is an Ascend hallmark, something that really impressed me with the classic CBM-170 and just got better from there. They give you what was going on around the microphone.

Hope you get some more time to enjoy and compare.

Equally interesting is the lack of piano/gloss black speaker stands.
    -curtis