Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The age old question????

Default The age old question????

Since 1981 I've owned and enjoyed a huge pair of AR9 towers so my knowledge of current speaker technology is whoefully lacking.

I'm now looking for my last pair of speakers. I've auditioned Maggie MMGs for nearly a month and sent them back, primarily because of their size and intrusiveness in the room. Going to Maggie 1.6s would, of course, increase that problem (although they sound wonderful.)

Right now I'm auditioning a pair of Aperion 6T towers, along with their 5C center and I like the sound a lot. Their mids and highs are outstanding - very clean and neutral at most any listening level. Bass is great, except for a very few organ pedals (like the opening of Also Spake Zarathustra.) I've nearly decided to keep them but an old question keeps cropping up.

Why go to a tower to get more bass extension and then cut off bass at around 50hz to 80hz when you add a subwoofer? Would it not make more sense to go with monitors, on stand and placed properly, and a subwoofer? Also, adding a center channel speaker that matches the left and right speakers would be highly desireable, I would guess.

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I'd really like your opinions as to positives and negatives of going from towers to monitors (or bookshelf speakers if you prefer.) I'm considering trying the Sierras but would like input before I do anything else. What would I lose going to the Sierra and, if anything, what would I gain.

My media room is roughly 15'X20' and relatively well-damped with wall to wall carpet, draperies and furniture. I drive my speakers with an Onkyo 805 AVR, which has been great, even for the Maggies. They sit on the sides of a Sony 60A3000 RPT, 3' from the front of the long wall so placement is not an issue.

I use the speakers as follows:

Mostly Music (playing classical as I type) - much classical, big band, some jazz , some country, and no new music in any category (Hey! I'm 72! : )

Movies - always surround sound - here is where I'm sure I'll enjoy a subwoofer. I have Blu Ray, HD DVD and an Oppo 983 for SD DVD and SACD.

General TV - I watch everything, incuding Directv HD, using the sound system, news and all.

Sorry for the long post but I didn't know how else to ask the question.

Thanks in advance

arkiedian
    Last edited by arkiedan; 09-17-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Default Re: The age old question????

Do you have time to audition a pair of Sierras with the Aperions? Looking at specs there is very little difference in bottom end extension of the two.

I am in the why buy your bass twice camp.

Welcome arkiedan! Given your age, is this an "age old question" or an "old age question"?

Looking at your usage and taste in music, I think you'd be well served by Sierras. It sounds like you don't have a subwoofer now. A subwoofer will certainly add immensely to your enjoyment of movies. I think it will add a nice depth to your music also, especially if you listen to organ music and jazz with a nice acoustic bass.

If you plan to go with a subwoofer anyway, I don't think you'd be giving anything up going to Sierras. Reviews have noted they have a surprising amount of bass. Remember that it's not a hard cutover from mains to subwoofer, mains still play under the cutoff point (say, 80 hz) and the sub extends above. Sierras are known to play well with subs in the transition range.

If the choice is between Aperions in a stereo configuration or Sierra's in a L/C/R + sub configuration, there's no question the latter wins hands down both for music and movies.

Keep in mind I haven't heard either Aperions or Sierras. I have 340's/170's/200's (+subwoofer) in my home theater and they sound wonderful!

arkiedan...I agree with Doug and Quinn, but I would also throw the CMT-340SE's into the equation as well, and put them up against the 6T's with a good subwoofer.
    -curtis

Thanks Quinn & Doug,

"Given your age, is this an "age old question" or an "old age question"?"

Heh....a little of both, I suspect. You'd be amazed at the constaint indecision that comes with old age.

I've got a couple weeks left to decide on the Aperions. Think I'll order the Sierras and compare them. The thought of going to small, lightweight monitors has great appeal (don't have to walk those big towers around when I move them.)

Thanks again,

arkiedan

Quote Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
    The thought of going to small, lightweight monitors has great appeal (don't have to walk those big towers around when I move them.)
    If you get some nice stands and fill them with sand, they will be MUCH tougher to move around than the 6T's.

I have my Sierras on sand filled stands for stability. Each stand weighs north of 60 lbs.!
    Last edited by curtis; 09-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post
    Thanks Quinn & Doug,

You'd be amazed at the constaint indecision that comes with old age.

The thought of going to small, lightweight monitors has great appeal (don't have to walk those big towers around when I move them.)

arkiedan
    I started to respond a lot earlier but couldn't decide whether I should or not.

Once you've found the sweet spot, moving speakers shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, that's what grandchildren are for.
    Last edited by DougMac; 09-17-2009 at 03:03 PM.

I went from floorstanding Klipsch F2's to 170SE mains and a 340SE for the center. I don't think I missed the "full-range." I also have a quality subwoofer for the low end though. IMO, a quality bookshelf speaker could in fact sound better than floorstanders. The 170 and 340 sounds alot better. The only bad thing is that your going to need to get stands or wall mounts. I have them sitting on shelves on the wall. Floor standers are easier to place.

Regarding what you gain, I would say few things come to mind:

1. Sierra-1's are incredibly revealing of source material as I'm sure you've read. I haven't heard the other speakers you talk about to make a relative, but I would say the Sierra-1 is a great speaker for the price and if you have a chance to listen to them you should, the level of detail is I think addictive.

2. My view is the world is largely ruled by the bookshelf and the subwoofer and the floorstander is relegated to a niche market (I'm probably 10-15 years younger than you but grew up in the age of the floorstander and started to see the subs appear when I was in college). I think in recent years there is great competition in subwoofers which is evident in the pricing (which is pretty good), some convergence in terms of design approach, and you see other things like wireless signal transmission for placement flexibility showing up as a way to differentiate. This is not to say that the sub is a commodity but to make the statement that the sellers seem motivated to compete in a very tough segment.

3. Subs should also largely go lower in frequency than floorstanders.

With that in mind, I suspect you get better value in terms of satellite+sub.

I would also draw a line between bookshelfs like the Sierra-1 that already go down to 40Hz by themselves and other booshelfs that don't. I think most music sounds good on Sierra-1's though it alone is not for organ music, so for that you will need the sub on.

Regarding benefit of floorstanders, I assume you are talking about a 3-way speaker, the only thing I can see is that two speakers going to 30Hz vs. 1 sub may have advantage in terms of room effects, but of course 2 subs may be another way to go....

I thank everyone for the input. I'm going to order a pair of Sierras this morning and audition them against the Aperions while I still have time. If I like the sound I plan to get another Sierra for the center and an Epik Vanquish sub, which gets great reviews and is on sale right now. Subwoofers are a new experience for me so it'll be a kick placing it and setting it up. If I go the Sierra route the surrounds will be Ascend - not sure which.

Curtis, I'd love to try the other Ascends but I'm trying to keep shipping costs under control. These 30-day trials are great when you live out here on the frontier but you can quickly run up shipping costs. For that reason it'll be the Aperions or the Sierra-1s.

(By the way, the Aperions ship both ways "free" although I'm sure they factor a percentage of returns into the price.)

60 pound stands! Wow! I think mine will remain empty. We're old folks here in this household. No kids or pets to knock over speakers or other toys.

Tushar, the Aperion towers are a 2-way ported design and they sound terrific. In fact, of the speakers I've been able to find and audition, I like the 2-ways best. It'll be a new experience for me but I suspect I'll like monitors and a good subwoofer. That form factor just seems to make more sense to me.

Thanks again to all,

arkiedan