Thread: The age old question????

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The age old question????

Since 1981 I've owned and enjoyed a huge pair of AR9 towers so my knowledge of current speaker technology is whoefully lacking.

I'm now looking for my last pair of speakers. I've auditioned Maggie MMGs for nearly a month and sent them back, primarily because of their size and intrusiveness in the room. Going to Maggie 1.6s would, of course, increase that problem (although they sound wonderful.)

Right now I'm auditioning a pair of Aperion 6T towers, along with their 5C center and I like the sound a lot. Their mids and highs are outstanding - very clean and neutral at most any listening level. Bass is great, except for a very few organ pedals (like the opening of Also Spake Zarathustra.) I've nearly decided to keep them but an old question keeps cropping up.

Why go to a tower to get more bass extension and then cut off bass at around 50hz to 80hz when you add a subwoofer? Would it not make more sense to go with monitors, on stand and placed properly, and a subwoofer? Also, adding a center channel speaker that matches the left and right speakers would be highly desireable, I would guess.

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I'd really like your opinions as to positives and negatives of going from towers to monitors (or bookshelf speakers if you prefer.) I'm considering trying the Sierras but would like input before I do anything else. What would I lose going to the Sierra and, if anything, what would I gain.

My media room is roughly 15'X20' and relatively well-damped with wall to wall carpet, draperies and furniture. I drive my speakers with an Onkyo 805 AVR, which has been great, even for the Maggies. They sit on the sides of a Sony 60A3000 RPT, 3' from the front of the long wall so placement is not an issue.

I use the speakers as follows:

Mostly Music (playing classical as I type) - much classical, big band, some jazz , some country, and no new music in any category (Hey! I'm 72! : )

Movies - always surround sound - here is where I'm sure I'll enjoy a subwoofer. I have Blu Ray, HD DVD and an Oppo 983 for SD DVD and SACD.

General TV - I watch everything, incuding Directv HD, using the sound system, news and all.

Sorry for the long post but I didn't know how else to ask the question.

Thanks in advance

arkiedian
    Last edited by arkiedan; 09-17-2009 at 07:30 AM.