Thread: My comparison of Ascends vs. B&W 602's

I had similar results with a pair of 602's(first series). The 602's could ultimately play louder, but those metal domes could tear up your ears. I felt the 170's imaged better as well. I was able to sell the B&W's locally on consignment for $325 which left me enough green to purchase some nice wood-technology metal stands!

MAG

That's interesting, Mag.

I'll have to think about selling the 602's. I use them for my secondary audio system in my study, for which they're fine. I plan on buying a new HT system of the Ascends now.

I did the same thing with my beloved Paradigm Mini-Monitors when I got the 170s. I no longer have the Mini-Monitors but I do have another pair of 170s for a music only set-up in addition to those in my HT.

I am tempted to order the whole home theater set up in Ascends plus replace the B&W's too in the other room, but the cost is probably more than I want to pay.

I sure did like the improved orchestral music sound from the Ascends. It was surprising to me. I don't remember reading about the improved classical music performance of the Ascends. Has anyone mentioned this before in the forum and I just missed it?

I don't know how many orchestra fans are on the board but if you read the review from The $ensible Sound I belive that reviewer used all orchestral pieces for reference material. My experience is all music sounds better.