Thread: 170 vs 340 for center?

Default 170 vs 340 for center?

Whats the difference between the 340 and the 170? From what I have heard the 340 can get louder and has more bass, where the 170 may have a bit more level frequency response. Is this the case? I dont plan on listening to anything above 90 db for any real amount of time, and I will never be more than 2 or 2.5 meters away from any speaker, so I dont think I would be anywhere near straining them. I will be getting a subwoofer, so the extra bass isnt that important.

Default Re: 170 vs 340 for center?

Quote Originally Posted by tank171 View Post
    Whats the difference between the 340 and the 170? From what I have heard the 340 can get louder and has more bass, where the 170 may have a bit more level frequency response. Is this the case? I dont plan on listening to anything above 90 db for any real amount of time, and I will never be more than 2 or 2.5 meters away from any speaker, so I dont think I would be anywhere near straining them. I will be getting a subwoofer, so the extra bass isnt that important.
    Hi Tank,

From a technical standpoint, the CMT-340 is an MTM design while the CBM-170 is a TM. The MTM design offers wide horizontal dispersion with limited vertical dispersion, which will help minimize room effects by lessening the impact of floor and ceiling reflections. The CBM-170 offers wide horizontal and vertical dispersion making it a more placement friendly loudspeaker while also making it more susceptible to room issues.

The CMT-340 also uses a higher performance tweeter than the 170 in addition to having dual 6.5" woofers.

From a listening standpoint, the 340 sounds more dynamic and lively, it presents a larger soundstage, more mid-pass punch and more extended highs. Both the 170 and 340 have a very similar sonic signature but the 340 sounds better to the vast majority of listeners who have compared the two (regardless of with/without a subwoofer).

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com