Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Ascend Question...help!

ok, soundstage is what again, exactly?

Here's my understanding of the concept..

Speakers with a bigger soundstage will spread the instruments out even more from one another. As a result, it'll make it easier to localize each instrument on an imaginary stage.. is that the gist of it??

Not sure about the localization of each instrument, but for me, simply put, the sound is more expansive...bigger.

-curtis

I have a 17' x 17' living room with a ceiling that slopes from 9' to 18' and is open to 200 sqft of kitchen/breakfast nook and a 6' wide 20' long "gallery" hallway. the 170s w/340 CC fill that with good clean sound w/no problem. But, I haven't heard the 340 L/R to know what the difference would be.

Remember we are audio nuts who love overkill. []

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

Remember we are audio nuts who love overkill. []
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is true. The Spinal Tap "but these go to 11!" scene comes to mind.

I'm encouraged by your satisfaction given your room dimensions in terms of the 170's/340CC combo getting the job done. My space is no bigger and I think I'll be fine with that combo too. I wasn't getting the kind of resolution I was hoping for from Curtis's attempts at defining the extra something that the 340's provide him. I'm still not comprehending the whole "loud enough but not as big sounding" 170 vs. 340 comparison.

Plus, I like the notion of powerful and impressive sound coming from a less obtrusive package that the smaller 170s would present in a room.

....I am feeling inadequate... []

-curtis