Thread: Some funny "industry" humor

Default Some funny "industry" humor

Several times a month we get emails from companies looking to advertise on our website. Obviously, I always turn them down but this time I received a slightly more interesting one:

"Hello,

Would you consider placing a promotional link on your page: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/.

The link would be for a website which offers quality audio speakeres.

My budget isn't enormous, but I am hoping there is a reasonable price we could arrange since it's just a tiny piece of screen real estate I'm interested in.

Please let me know if you're open to this, and if not I appreciate your time and wish you the best of luck with your site.

Thank You!"

I played along out of curiosity -- what brand of "quality audio speakers" would want to advertise on our site?

Here is the response I got:

"Thank you for responding. I'm hopeful you'll review and consider the following proposed offer.

I would like to place a simple promotional text link on your page http://www.ascendacoustics.com/ to link to thespeakercompany.com
    with the link text being "home theater speakers".

If possible I would really want to place that link within a sentence or two that I could write up so that it reads well (it won't be overly promotional or lengthy).

I can pay you 80 USD for the link, for the whole year paid upfront with the assumption that you'll leave it live on that page for at least 12 months, or longer if you prefer.

If that arrangement isn't agreeable perhaps we could come up with something different for a couple additional links or some way in which we both benefit more (you more money, me more opportunity to get visits), let me know and I will see what I can do.

Please get back to me if interested and include your paypal account ID (just your email of course) for payment. I look forward to your positive response.

Thanks!"

I couldn't believe what I read, that wasn't $80 for a day, week or month, they offered $80 for an entire YEAR to advertise a competitor's product on our site. Quite generous, dont you think

To be fair, this email did not come from TSC directly, it came from a marketing firm they hired.

Anyway, I found this quite humorous and it made me smile
    Last edited by davef; 07-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Some funny "industry" humor

That's funny.
    -curtis

That just kills me!

"Hey, Mr. Home Depot, could I put a small one line ad on your web page? I will pay you $90 up front. That should be good for 12 months, right? I am trying to gain attention for some home improvement products."

Home Depot:"Which company do you represent?"

Advertiser: "Lowe's"
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Wow. I obviously know who Ascend is and I know who TSC is. I also can't assume that everyone is an audio geek like us, but good grief! One can only hope that TSC fired that bush league ad firm that didn't even bother to READ THIS SITE before they hit Dave up for an ad. Funny stuff, Dave.
    - EVH III

That was hilarious! I'm surprised he didn't offer to pay you in speakers

Thumbs down Re: Some funny "industry" humor

Well, the speaker company is no more...

has ceased operations and is no longer taking orders.

We would like to thank everyone who has purchased our product over the past two years and assure you that you that you have purchased a quality product that will give you many years of enjoyment.

If you do experience a problem we will stand behind the product in accordance with our warranty. Please visit our Customer Service page for information on how to obtain warranty service.

Thank you,
    I don't want to point fingers at anybody, but had the adds been allowed to run on this site, they might not have had to close their doors... So, while I won't say that their closure is exclusively due to this refusal of advertisement, I'm sure that it, in a very small way, did in fact help the demise of this company... Such a shame... They even were ready to pay for it, like eighty US dollars, not canadian dollars, real, american, US dollars! And even with this act of generosity, refusal... They had even allowed Ascend to leave the add longer than 12 months, if they so desired... And yet... Decline of this generous offer... Such a shame... What has this world come to... Where people refuse to advertise competitor's products on their official website for almost a quarter a day... What happened to the American dream! What about fair trade! What about helping a friend in need! Or as Dubya said himself: "We must all hear the universal call to like your neighbor just like you like to be liked yourself."! Obviously, this was an act of desperation, but we did not notice the signs until it was too late... Such a shame May you R.I.P., the SC!

Or maybe they could have hired a better advertisement company...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 01-29-2010 at 04:28 PM.

I don't care who you are....that's funny right there.
    - EVH III