Thread: Sierra-1 30" stand advice

Default Sierra-1 30" stand advice

I'm looking to purchase 30-inch stands for my soon-to-arrive Sierra-1's and considering sand-filled StudioTech SP-30 or Sanus SF30. I'd appreciate comments on either stand, etc.

TIA
    Last edited by BarryG; 06-28-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Sierra-1 30" stand advice

As long as the stand is sturdy enough to hold/support a given speaker, it will be fine. The rest is aesthetics.
    -curtis

I use the Sierra-1 on SP-30. I am mostly happy with the stands. Sand-filled they are very solid. The included plastic clips for guiding speaker wire fell off over time though. I think I will glue magnets to them which will be more effective.

I used clear museum wax to mount the speakers to stand per Dave's recommendation and seems to work well.

The stands look very nice under Sierra-1.

The only annoyance for me is that for hardwood they give tiny little plastic pads you place under the brass spikes. It's reasonably solid when levelled and I like the brass spikes, but if the stand get moved around on my less than germanically flat hardwood, I have to adjust the spikes again to make them stable. I would expect that the other model which appears to have rubber feet may not look as clean but may be easier for hardwood floors. I have no experience with the SF-30 though so take that with a grain of salt. In truth if I had to buy stands again, I'd still probably get the SP-30 vs. SF-30 just for how they look cleaner looking square baseplate. I'm also pretty sure I could add rubber feet to the SP-30 if I really got my act together, visited Ace HW.
    Last edited by Tushar; 06-30-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks guys. I just ordered the SP-30s.
    Last edited by BarryG; 07-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.

It ended up that the SP-30 stands are back-ordered everywhere right now so I'm hoping to open up the conversation a bit.

I'm seeing a lot of folks using wooden stands with the Sierras. Is there not a sonic advantage to using filled metal stands to wooden stands? Or are the Sierra cabs so stiff/non-resonant that it doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of folks using wooden stands with the Sierras. Is there not a sonic advantage to using filled metal stands to wooden stands? Or are the Sierra cabs so stiff/non-resonant that it doesn't matter?
    No advantage at all. The wooden stands can be filled as well.
    -curtis

I love the look of the Sanus Steel Foundations line. The SF-26 stand would be my choice for Sierras. Parts Express is the cheapest source for them.

-Dave