Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 340 special or Sierra-1?

Default Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tywel View Post
    I have been greatly enjoying the 340/170 system for 2 weeks now. I have a bit of buyers remorse as one side of me is questioning upgrading to Sierra-1. Just need to get some cash, which is not easy right now
    I understand your buyer's remorse. I have a tinge of it myself. I'd love to hear 340's/Sierra's A/B'd.

In the meantime, I'm still extremely pleased with my 340/170/200 setup.

Default Re: 340 special or Sierra-1?

I feel for you as well. My decision was to go Sierra/200/200 which enabled me to afford the Sierras (that plus holiday specials) and to completely avoid the "Sierra remorse" I had been reading about. I was hesitant to choose the 200 as a center with the Sierras, but that little guy is holding his own just fine... and I get the full two-channel experience.

My recommendation would be to wait a while. The buyers remorse may go away... or not.

Also by waiting you will get a better sense of your listening habits. If you find you are doing a lot of two-channel listening you might want to trade in for just a pair of Sierra-1s and then add the center/surrounds as finances allow.

Default Re: 340 special or Sierra-1?

I need to chime in. As an owner of the classic 340s LCR and htm 200s + Sub I love my setup. We probably use it 80/20 or 85/15 Movies to Music. I was watching the blue-ray version of transformers with the volume way up. I'm very happy. (still)
    Enjoy your system. If there is one thing I've noticed as I purchase more equipment and try higher-end vs midrange and lower, the difference may not be that big.

I'm not knocking the Sierras.

-john

Thumbs up Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tywel View Post
    Sorry for the suspense. I have been greatly enjoying the 340/170 system for 2 weeks now. I have a bit of buyers remorse as one side of me is questioning upgrading to Sierra-1. I am trying to determine what I can afford at this point but Dave offered to extend a full trade-in / upgrade offer for 90-days. My music listening % has increased since receiving the 340s (more so than I thought it would) so this has changed my longterm thinking. Just need to get some cash, which is not easy right now
    Heheheh
    Big surprise......NOT!!

I had Boston Acoustics CR75's when I got my 2x170se + 1x 340se....figured Movies mostly(I was like 6/4-7/3 at the time I think...posts are here)..
    DING DING!!

I was listening to music while I SLEPT because it sounded so good (left cds on really low........)
    Still does......
    Then I stepped up to the Sierra L/C/R (from the 170), and the difference is sweet, much better cohesion(3-exact same speakers-measured close as well), and pressed the 170's into surround duty..... very nice if I don't say so myself.......
    I still hear some stuff that makes me look around!!

Enjoy the speakers, Dave does produce and BACK a VERY good product.

Listening to Steely Dan now..sweet sounds!!