Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 special or Sierra-1?

Default 340 special or Sierra-1?

Just looking for some opinions. I have about $1000 to spend tops and I am now considering either a pair of Sierra-1 or the current 340 special (no sub).

My usage would be 50% movies and 50% music. It is unlikely that I will be able to add to whatever I purchase for at least a year, which do you feel will offer the most enjoyment? 2 channel Sierra-1 system or 5 channel 340 system? With either system, I can not afford to purchase a subwoofer.

Default Re: 340 special or Sierra-1?

Having owned both speakers and I enjoy music and use my system 50/50 I would go with the Sierra-1's especially if you won't have a sub. If your not replacing a surround sound system currently then you won't be missing the surround effects by starting with a 2 channel setup and adding in the future.
    Jeff

Though choice. I guess it depends of how much you want multichannel right now. I also have both a pair of 340SE and Sierras. The 340SEs are mighty fine for the price, but the Sierras are a step above.

I remember saying that the Sierras were not the most detailed speakers I have heard, but added that I had heard many systems costing much more than a car, or even sometimes a small house (lol), and that was in no way anything negative about the Siera: Just that a 30000$ system will get you a little more than a system costing <2000$, but damnit, couple months ago the latest edition of FSI (sort of E3 for hifi, big audio show in Canada), paid for 3 days to attend the show, and after one day I was very unimpressed with most of what I heard, then listened to the Sierras at night at home, and damn, I said I might just as well stay at home and listen to the Sierras...

Really, if you're not that picky about sound, grab the 340SEs, add a sub later, and for 1500-2000$, sub included, you'll probably not found a B&M system which will sound as good for under 3 or 4k... But the downside to 340SE, you'll need a sub for <50hz. The 340SE bass is good, goes reasonably low, it's tight and not muddy, for ~550$, very good speakers and very usable bass, but obviously not as good as a good sub.

But Sierras just are just better than 340SE... Better bass, more extension, punchier. More resolution... (more realistic sound) Better imaging... There's what's called diminishing returns in audio, and the Sierras, imho, is close to the best ratio, well for me at least, of bang for the buck. It's pretty damn cheap at <1000$, and their performance is very close to the best speakers out there... I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy, so yeah, sure, some speakers do some things better (while sometimes doing some things worst), but often, when you look at the prices, 850$ vs 2500$, or 6000$, the Ascends make the others look a little silly...

Personally, I've heard a lot of commercial products, and none so far have given me the urge to upgrade. Just ridiculous imho to spend say 3 or 5k for so little 'upgrade' vs Sierras... It's really, pretty much 'hifi' sound. Where 340SE is more very very good 'midfi' if that makes any sens 340SE's are very neutral, play very well, really not much you can fault them (especially for the price), but when compared to good 5000$ speakers for example, then you can see that they end up a bit short. They might actually be more neutral, but you'll miss a bit of detail, maybe not as precise imaging... Sierras though, you really won't miss much of anything, and it might even do some things better than the 5k speaker...

But to add to the mix up... Personally, if I decide to go multi channel, I'd probably just add a 340SE center and HTM200 for rears and use my 340SE. IMHO, advantages of Sierra vs 340SE aren't that huge for HT. Very worth it for music, but for movies 340SE are more than adequate, Sierras maybe even a little overkill for HT for me...

Anyhow, 1 year passes really quick, and 1 year with 340SE no sub is no issue imho... Just see long term, would you rather spend extra for for Sierras because you really want top notch audio quality, because you're sort of an audio nut and really want the best? Or, would you be ok with really good speakers that 99.9% of the population would say kicks ass but maybe 0.1% of audio nuts would raise their nose and say they've heard better?
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 06-13-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Well you said 50/50 HT and music. So if you like multi-channel for HT I guess you can answer that ? yourself. Now I am probably 80/20 music / HT, so everyones equation is different. I've never heard the 340's, I went right to the sierra's because of my listening ratio....but there are alot of people VERY satisfied with setups like the 340 special....and given your 50 / 50 ratio.......maybe that should be your consideration, then just add a sub when you get the $$.

Are you starting from scratch?

I guess I've gotten spoiled. Watching movies and even HD TV is much more immersive with surround sound. I have never heard Sierras, but the overwhelming consensus is they are better sounding than the 340's. How much better seems to vary widely, though, from slightly better to a lot better. I've also read that some folks think the 340's can be pushed a little harder, especially with movie content so if your entertainment includes a fair amount of action material, you might want to keep that in mind.

Also, think down the road to Phase II, when you have some money to complete the system. If you start with the 340's, you'll need to add a sub ($600-$900). If you start with the Sierra's, you'll need the sub plus surrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Are you starting from scratch?

I guess I've gotten spoiled. Watching movies and even HD TV is much more immersive with surround sound. I have never heard Sierras, but the overwhelming consensus is they are better sounding than the 340's. How much better seems to vary widely, though, from slightly better to a lot better. I've also read that some folks think the 340's can be pushed a little harder, especially with movie content so if your entertainment includes a fair amount of action material, you might want to keep that in mind.

Also, think down the road to Phase II, when you have some money to complete the system. If you start with the 340's, you'll need to add a sub ($600-$900). If you start with the Sierra's, you'll need the sub plus surrounds.
    DM nailed it.

Thanks for the advice. After much thought and a few email exchanges with some of the manufacturers I was considering, I decided to order the moving special from Ascend. (CMT-340 system) Spoke to Dina and then to Dave himself and he felt that I would get the most enjoyment from a full 5 channel system as compared to just a pair of Sierra-1. Dave, you could have easily upsold me but I appreciate the honesty.

I know I need a subwoofer, going to wait for now or possibly purchase a cheap model just to hold me over until I have more disposable income. Now I get to wait about a week but I am excited.

try looking at the eD A2-300 for a subwoofer..$350..very nice

Default What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tywel View Post
    Thanks for the advice. After much thought and a few email exchanges with some of the manufacturers I was considering, I decided to order the moving special from Ascend. (CMT-340 system)
    Just curious whether you ordered it and what you think.

I watched "The Commitments" last night. It's a really fun film. I had watched it before on a small TV and 2 channel. I was an entirely different experience on a big screen and with surround. It sounded great on my 340's!

Default Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Just curious whether you ordered it and what you think.

I watched "The Commitments" last night. It's a really fun film. I had watched it before on a small TV and 2 channel. I was an entirely different experience on a big screen and with surround. It sounded great on my 340's!
    Sorry for the suspense. I have been greatly enjoying the 340/170 system for 2 weeks now. I have a bit of buyers remorse as one side of me is questioning upgrading to Sierra-1. I am trying to determine what I can afford at this point but Dave offered to extend a full trade-in / upgrade offer for 90-days. My music listening % has increased since receiving the 340s (more so than I thought it would) so this has changed my longterm thinking. Just need to get some cash, which is not easy right now