Thread: Best SQ: 2 340SE's + 1 340SE-C or 3 vertical 170SE's across the front?

Default Best SQ: 2 340SE's + 1 340SE-C or 3 vertical 170SE's across the front?

I just bought a pair of b-stock 170SE's, and I absolutely love them. Perhaps it's partly placebo effect, but, subjectively, these truly beat down the cheap Onkyo HTIB I had used previously.

So, now that I'm sold on the Ascends, it's time to complete the 5.1 set. Sierras would be nice, but don't fit my budget. I have a Marantz SR7001 and plan on getting a Hsu STF-2 for my sub.

My choice essentially comes down to either going with 3 vertically oriented 170SE's across the front, with 170SE's or MTM-200's for surround; or 340 SE's across the front (2 vertical mains, horizontal center), using the two 170SE's I now have as surrounds.

I've read that ideally the center speaker should also be oriented vertically, which would work for the shorter 170SE's, but not for the 340SE. In either case, the tweeter on the center speaker will almost certainly have to be placed a few inches (maybe up to 10") lower than that of the L/R mains -- I'm wall-mounting my plasma, which will be placed at a height just above the top of where the center speaker sits.

I'm planning on putting the center channel on top of an Omnimount Echo 63 TV stand (though I could go with something else) -- a simple, minimalist stand, which stands 17.3" in height. If I sit the 340SE C on that, it'll come up to ~25" from the floor at its highest. If I get the 340SE mains and their 24" spiked stands, they'll stand from 24" to 45" off the ground.

Is this going to be a problem and should I consider just doing 3 vertical 170SE's instead (all placed at about 18" to 30", if that's not too low). The $300 difference in cost is not huge issue -- I want the best sound for music and movies. I've heard that horizontal centers, though, can be problematic. Are the 340's better enough than the 170's to overcome that potential disadvantage?

So which choice would you make, and how would you set it up (stands, wall mount, etc.) given that the only real contraints are that I want a great sounding 5.1 setup and will be wall-mounting a 50" plasma?

I appreciate any feedback.

Default Re: Best SQ: 2 340SE's + 1 340SE-C or 3 vertical 170SE's across the front?

I used to have 3x 340SE across the front (running Sierras now) and I had no problem with the horizontal 340SE center. I suppose if you're sitting way off axis you'll lose some sound quality. The 340SE can handle higher volume levels so if you like to listen loud sometimes then go with the 340SE. Otherwise the 170SE has very similar sound quality.

Default Re: Best SQ: 2 340SE's + 1 340SE-C or 3 vertical 170SE's across the front?

Definitely go with the 340's i love mine. The tweeter on the center of the 340's has been rotated so the displacent through the room is the same as a vertical main. Dave designed it to be placed horizontally so you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Ask Dave to be sure but im pretty positive thats how he described it to me. good luck,

Oh and its not placebo they are just that much better then the onkyo's lol .

On the old "classic" CMT-340 center, the tweeter was rotated. With the dispersion characteristics of the custom Seas tweeter in the SE's, it is not necessary. The center version does have the EXBAC circuit.
    -curtis

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go for the 340SE across the front setup.

Sadly, I really wish I had waited an extra week to order the 170SE's, as the new move-out special for $998 w/ three 340SE's and two 170SE's is exactly what I'm going for now.