Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering the Sierra-1 - Need advice

Default Re: Considering the Sierra-1 - Need advice

Does anyone have suggestions for in-celing rear surrounds to match Sierra-1s?

Just spoke to Dave and pulled the trigger on 3 sierra's set up horizontally and a rythmik f12se. Now the hardest part...the waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by powers2020 View Post
    Just spoke to Dave and pulled the trigger on 3 sierra's set up horizontally and a rythmik f12se. Now the hardest part...the waiting!
    Congrats! Tell us what you think once they're hooked up.

I looked at your room and it looks like the surrounds will be problematic. I've watched enough surround material to believe that timbre matching is very important. Not only is it about panning a sound from front to back, but also it is about how some movies expand the orchestra into the surrounds to give a huge sound stage.

I think finding in ceiling speakers that will adequately match the Sierras will be hard. Even if you found a good match, placing the speakers in the ceiling presents its own sonic challenges.

Your photos made me think of another possible solution. It may not be optimum, but it might be better than ceiling speakers. I see a column in the kitchen area approximately lined up with your sofa. You might consider getting 200's and mount one on the column and the other directly across on the wall. I'm suggesting 200's because they are sealed and can be mounted close to the wall. You may get some difference in sound because of the wall on one side and open space on either side of the speaker on the other. I don't know if the difference would be significant.

Doug

Doug-

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I think I am stuck with the ceiling mount unless I want to live by myself (i.e., without the wife and kids!) Dave F suggested the Sonance Original Series Medium ceiling mounts and said he has heard from others that those speaker gave a good result. Does anyone else have any feedback on those? Also, if the surrounds are in the ceiling, how far behind the listening position should they be? Thanks!!