Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good recommendations for Blu Ray?

Default Any good recommendations for Blu Ray?

Hi! I'm considering Blu Ray players. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

It seems this coming year network streaming for Netflix, etc (wireless) and HD transmission on HDMI are becoming standard on some of manufacturers lines (if not this year then next year). I'm wondering if there's any DVD players with high video and sound quality from Blu-Ray format, and transmits HD audio formats on HDMI, and wireless network streaming. Anything do all of that and boot up quickly as well? Looking at cheaper offerings (<$350) since my wife so far has been quiet as I put my music system together which to me implies she will explode if I buy too much more.

I will continue to use my Oppo-980 DVD player for any CD/DVD/DVD-A/SA-CVD's so DVD upconversion and sound quality from non-Blu Ray formats are not important. I have a Denon AVR-988 that says it decodes some of the HD audio formats so I'm not looking for any analogue outs on the Blu Ray player.

Default Re: Any good recommendations for Blu Ray?

Hi Tushar,

I am also looking for a new Blu Ray player with NetFlix streaming. Definitely let me know what you come up with and any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Hi! Since you asked, from what I've read and what is commented in AVS Forum, the difference in Blu Ray disk playback is same for all brands (assuming you are using HDMI out). For Netflix streaming and quick startup time, it seems that Samsung 3600 is good (better Netflix streaming than Roku). There are issues reported re: overheating, setting it up to communicate with your wireless N network (it comes with wireless dongle), but it seems to be solidly reviewed. It seems to be selling for about $330-350. I am probably going to buy that one (have to figure out when) if it has Deep Color (36bit). The way they fit the extra cost of wireless and Netflix into the HW, however was to decontent on DVD Upconversion chip vs. the preceding Samsung model-- which I think was the 2550. It also has reviews of bad analogue out. I use my AVR to process digital info and will keep my Oppo for CD, SACD, etc, so for me the samsung is a good fit. just giving you update since you asked. I don't know when I will actually buy it-- probably some time this summer.

Dave-- Never mind. From posts there are alot of concerns for Samsung in terms of lip-synch and wierd failures. LG has less wierdness, but still some reports of lip synch concern. I'm wondering whether to get a Roku to get Netflix until there are good mature solutions on the BLu Ray front... LG 390 would seem to be the best choice out there right now.

I actually purchased the Samsung 3600 a few weeks ago. I am quite impressed so far and the Netflix streaming is even better than I expected. I haven't noticed any of the "reported" probems so far. I am even considering dumping our cable movie channels now as I feel the selection offered by Netflix is far more interesting than cable.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks! I am leaning toward the Samsung as well (mainly for Pandora and because LG has some problems with not being able to turn off some tags). The video from Netflix is supposed to be better than Roku with DVD quality for SD content and not quite Blu Ray quality for HD content (assuming adequate bandwidth on router, Internet provider.

Do you see any lip synch issue? If not, what brand TV do you use.
    What do you think of Pandora? Tried it on my laptop and quite impressed with what it does.
    Last edited by Tushar; 06-12-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: accuracy of typing

Quote Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
    Dave,

Thanks! I am leaning toward the Samsung as well (mainly for Pandora and because LG has some problems with not being able to turn off some tags). The video from Netflix is supposed to be better than Roku with DVD quality for SD content and not quite Blu Ray quality for HD content (assuming adequate bandwidth on router, Internet provider.

Do you see any lip synch issue? If not, what brand TV do you use.
    What do you think of Pandora? Tried it on my laptop and quite impressed with what it does.
    Haven't tried Pandora yet but the Netflix streaming is fantastic... IMO, this is the future and it will eventually replace cable. $20/month for Netflix vs $180/month for lousy movies on cable? Comcast/TimeWarner had good OnDemand content but the OnDemand content on ATT Uverse is awful.

I haven't noticed any Lip Synching issues yet and I am using this with a 37" Vizio LCD via HDMI.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks! My guess is the lip synch issue is from TV sets, not Blu Ray with too much image processing set up. My Sony currently does this and I have to offset quite a bit on my DVD player and/or receiver to correct.

I agree with you about Netflix- it's amazing value. I'm mainly buying the BR player for that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
    I'm mainly buying the BR player for that feature.
    Same here -- Pandora and the fact that it actually plays DVDs (and the BD quality is stunning) are added bonuses.

Haven't tried an SD DVD yet for upscaling but this was never a concern of mine. Only DVD's I own are kids movies etc and in my opinion, the worse Barney / Thomas / Wiggles / Little Mermaid etc. look, the better.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm curious as to what sort of download speeds your seeing for Blu-Ray movies. On another forum, someone posted that it was taking 2.5 to 4 hours for Netflix Blu-Ray titles to download and be ready to watch. The person was very disappointed, since they anticipated almost immediate availability, but they said that was only the case with standard definition. We subscribe to the Netflix unlimited plan, so downloading from the Internet is a free option for us. I'd do it with the Roku box, though, as we have the new Oppo Digital BDP-83 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have a collection of standard DVD's, so upconversion is important to us. The BDP-83 does an excellent job with upconversion and Blu-Ray.

Bill