Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions...

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by SC^SoCal View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Curtis. It is a nice looking sub.
    Dude...just saw that you are in Torrance. You are welcome to come over and look at it in person... even though you are a Trojan.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Dude...just saw that you are in Torrance. You are welcome to come over and look at it in person... even though you are a Trojan.
    I assume you are a Bruin. If that is true, we should talk about football.

Quote Originally Posted by SC^SoCal View Post
    Well, I have one f-12 and it sounds very nice. However, I need to put the level at 2-3 o'clock to get the response that I like. Audyssey has set the sub gain at +5dB as well. Does this sound right?

How would I most benefit, with another f12 or to just get one d15? Aesthetically wise, either will do. But, getting 2 f12s will be almost twice the price.

Lastly, how is the LFE signal handled if I had a dual f12 setup. Is the signal sent equally to the 2 subs. Someone in another forum had said that the sound quality went down with the more subs he added. I think that he had a Sony receiver.

Forgive my noobness.
    "LEVEL setting" does not equal "OUTPUT CAPABILITY". LEVEL setting is to match sub with your front speakers. It has nothing to do with the max output. I know it is too easy to make that connection. Even some of my best customers would say, "the sub is so powerful that I don't even have to set the level at more than 9 o'clock position". If I want to take advantage of that psychology, I would have increased the gain of subwoofer amp by 10x. However, that gain will introduce a new source of distortion. So I really want to use gain wisely.

The level position of 2-3 o'clock is about right if you have a highly efficient ported speakers. Sealed front speakers are normally less efficient. Also my Denon receiver has a standard gain of 20x power amplifiers. If you power amplifiers have higher gain than that, that will be another reason for you to set the level on the plate amp higher. If you have two units, then either unit's gain needs to set lower to get the same output.

Quote Originally Posted by RythmikAudio View Post
    I assume you are a Bruin. If that is true, we should talk about football.
    aww...that's a low blow! Yes, I am a Bruin fan, but didn't go to UCLA. I'm not a Trojan hater...just more of a UC fan.
    -curtis

aww...that's a low blow! Yes, I am a Bruin fan, but didn't go to UCLA. I'm not a Trojan hater...just more of a UC fan.
    Well at least your not a trojan fan though. haha Boomer Sooner here .

Thanks Curtis! But I did decide to go with dual f12s. However, my receiver has only one output so I will need to get a splitter. Is this the one?

Can the sub signal be split and then split again to have a L and R connection on each sub? Or is it unnecessary?

I ask this because I have read that by having a dual connection to the sub, one can increase output over just a single connection.

Thanks.

Trojans under fire again.

You only need to split it once, and that piece will do the job.

Looks like Trojan Men's basketball is in trouble.
    -curtis

You only need to split it once, and that piece will do the job.
    I was experimenting with the splitter above and decided to hook up 2 inputs into one f12. This allowed me to turn the gain down from 2 o'clock to 12 o'clock. Does this happen with all subs? Does it matter? Thanks.

BTW, great Cleveland-Orlando game tonight.

Nope...it doesn't matter.
    -curtis

Happy New Year!

It's been awhile since I've posted here. I guess I've been too busy enjoying my HT. I do have some questions for the HT gurus. I don't know what it is but I just noticed that the output of my two f12s seems to have decreased in proportion to my other speakers. In some scenes I can barely hear the bass like I did before. I tried Audyssey, but it didn't do the trick. I even tried to turn the freq knob all the way up. Therefore, I want to manually increase the sub level in proportion to my other speakers using the receiver or a setting on the f12s. What are some ways to do this? I am seated 14 ft away from my HT. I have all speakers set to small and I have put the distance setting of the front speakers to 10ft and the sub to 30. I have also increased the sub output on the receiver to LFE and +15db. They sound louder, but not quite like I want it. Am I asking too much from them?

My system still consists of Definitive 5.0 + two f12s driven by a Denon 2809. I am using a splitter to the two f12s. I have the freq settings at 14/high damping and the gain is usually @ 2-3 o'clock. I also added a ground loop isolator to my cable line if that matters.