Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Keeping the Rythmik 15" from getting away

Default Re: Keeping the Rythmik 15" from getting away

Yes I use the pre-amp sub output. I recently moved the sub from 2ft. to aprox 9ft. from my first listening positioning. I ran audyssey again and it changed the settings from -3db to -11.5db. I need to get a SPL meter and try youre suggestions. The sub still sounds great, I had to turn the level to about 2:00 to get a little more output. Before I did all these changes I left the settings the way they were, I moved the sub and added a Y splitter to the right and left input....wow what a huge difference. But now since Audyssey changed the db to -11.5 I dont have the output that I did. I guess I am going to keep tweaking till I fine the sweet spot?

Hi RDP,

I have not personally used Audyssey, but from Forum posts I've seen over at AVS, it seems as though the algorithm Audyssey uses or sensitivity in the hardware causes it to eliminate low frequencies. Bring the sub level up and Audyssey applies a greater level cut so the end result is no bass. Where it's been used with tower main speakers having response into the 30-40 Hz region, it sets the main crossover unusually high apparently to kill the bass. Personally, I'd want my sub set a 0 in the receiver setup and adjust the sub level control (on the plate amp) to balance to my main speakers. I was in the market for new electronics at the time I saw the posts discussing Audyssey setups, and those comments swayed me away from getting a pre/pro with automated equalization. I decided I was not going to ever use it. Now I'm sure there may be automated equalizers that work well, or that ones will eventually be developed that do work well. It's also possible that my opinion of Audyssey is wrong and the comments were wrongly giving me a bad impression of how well it works. But there does seem to be something fundamentally wrong in what it does to the low frequency setup, and in not one but a variety of different rooms and room arrangements at least with the popular Onkyo receivers.

With regard to my speakers, my current system is undergoing an upgrade overhaul. The speakers I'm using are a hodge-podge of units put together on a budget as I transitioned from a stereo only system to home theater in the nineties. They also reflect my preference for large or multiple mid-size woofer drivers. One of the main influences were a set of large, floor-standing main speakers my wife and I particularly liked for music. They were purchased before subwoofers became popular. These had a higher than usual sensitivity, and I attempted to achieve level balance by selecting speakers for the rest of the system that didn't require using large amounts of level compensation in the receiver setup. This created an odd and quite large home theater system that I'm sure would make many audio enthusiasts cringe, but it did satisfy us and impressed visitors that experienced our system. Considering that this system was driven by a Pioneer Elite receiver with modest power output, the high sensitivity of the speakers allowed us to easily shake the house during movies. At the time, we lived in a larger space, and we could accommodate the size. Two moves later, a smaller house, more knowledge about speaker systems, and motivation to replace and upgrade the whole system, I'm currently downsizing to some degree. The large floor-standers are gone, replaced by the F15 subs and larger bookshelf speakers. It's currently an interim setup using speakers I already had while I wait for the chance to buy new speakers for all five channels (currently the room does not lend itself to 7-channel audio, although the new electronics have that capability - and I might try to squeeze it in eventually). I have no doubt the Sierra and other Ascend speakers are all awesome performers, and the CMT-340 is still on my alternate list, but the Ascend speakers did not meet all of my selection criteria. The Sierra was too small and had insuffcient sensitivity, and the CMT-340 was rejected due to the painted finish. Had I not found some speakers meeting my criteria that had wood-veneer cabinets that my wife really liked, the CMT-340 might have made it into my system. A somewhat lesser criteria that none of the Ascend speakers meet is that I really wanted to use closed-box design speakers in my new setup. I've mostly had ported speakers and want to try closed-box. So, I'm an Ascend customer because I bought Rythmik Audio subs, but there are no plans at this time to include Ascend speakers in the rest of the system. I don't want anyone to take this to mean I don't think Ascend makes wonderful speakers. I do. I may regret my current choices and sometime down the road come back to Ascends. It's just that right now I have certain criteria I want to meet in my new system that the Ascend line was not quite right for, but sound quality was not one of them.

The Sierra has a lot going for it, and I'm glad you like them in your system. The Rythmik subs are fantastic. They are a great compliment to any quality audio system both for music and movies. Be patient working through the setup and I know you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!

Bill

Good hearing from you again TMH.....I hope you will be able to hear the Sierra's one day. I think the bamboo cabinet made a huge difference in the sound. Bye for now.