Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the Rythmik 15" from getting away

Default Re: Keeping the Rythmik 15" from getting away

RDP-

I had a similar issue when I first received my sub. My issue was the level on the amp. I had it all the way to the left (min). Try turning the level up if it is not already all the way to the right.

Smile Re: Keeping the Rythmik 15" from getting away

Curtis has resolved the issue. I had the crossover set at 80hz in my receiver and 80-90hz on the plate amp on sub.I turned the plate amp clockwise to max 120hz., and ran Audyssey again. The bass came alive...as Dave says: enjoying the sound !!! I tell you these FIVE SIERRA"S and this 15" RYTHMIC SUB sounds perfect in multichannel audio w/Alison Krauss. Im still waiting to get some input on basic settings for HT/Audio. I may post some pictures latter with these matching Sierra's on five matching TP-24 stands. I know it was probaly a over kill w/Sierra's for rear surrounds....but it sure looks good with everything matching. And the sound....nobody can go wrong, trust me. I play acoustic doghouse bass, and bluegrass fiddle. These speakers to my ears reproduce a matching acoustic tone.

Good work everyone. I am glad it got resolved this fast.

Thanks Brian for everything, my highest recommendations to you, and youre product !!! Rex. Anybody living in NC would like to demo this setup is most welcome...but hurry before my house sells?

Yipee! Glad all is good!
    -curtis

Glad to hear the sub level issue is resolved. I don't have all of the same equipment, but I was prepared to study a downloaded copy of the Onkyo owner's manual and provide whatever help I could to resolve this issue. I've had audio, computer, and other hobbies long enough to know how frustrating it is to have a problem that is difficult to resolve. I've solved a few of my own to my satisfaction, and I hate to see anyone having a problem I might be able to help correct. Thankfully, the Internet has brought some additional resources that with a search engine and some patience can usually ferret out enough information for me to get to a solution. Forums, like this one, are a great asset.

Enjoy!

Bill

Thanks TMH...can you give me some basic settings for Ht/Audio that you use for the plate amp on the rythmic?

RDP, my main speakers are not Sierras and they have 5-6 dB greater sensitivity based on specs. That means I am likely using higher level settings on the plate amp than you will need. My wife and I have a large collection of CDs, over 400, covering multiple music categories and including older releases that were recorded to digital media from analog masters. We have noticed that the older recordings have lower bass levels than later releases, either due to the analog versus digital masters, or, more likely, due to changes in production mixing styles over the years. This effects the desired output level. I also have dual F15 subs. I'll provide my settings, but these differences will very likely mean you will need to adjust the level to your needs.

Starting from the top of the plate amp, here are my current connections and settings. I use Line In. Rythmik states you can use a single channel input, either left or right, but using a y-cable adapter to connect to both input channels provides 6 dB more output. I use a y-cable adapter. Next, I have PEQ off. I have not conducted a frequency sweep, but don't notice any uneveness in the bass response, so decided PEQ was not needed. Next is Delay/Phase. My main speakers sit on top of my subs, so there is no need for phase delay, and I have that set to zero. You will likely have a different setup, and if the sub is located away from your main speakers, you will need some phase adjustment. Rythmik provides a very good article on Rythmikaudio.com on how to do this using the delay settings in your receiver to achieve the required phase delay. You should locate that article, read it carefully, and perform the adjustment in your receiver setup (I'll help if you run into problems). Brian Ding (RythmikAudio on this forum) has answered questions and elaborated on this phase adjustment method in other posts on this forum. It's an excellent technique that I have suggested to users of other sub brands. Phase delay adjustment is essential to getting good music sound quality with a main speaker plus sub setup. Next, Crossover is set to the max setting, 120 Hz. I set the crossover frequency in my pre/pro. For Level, I currently am using between 3/4 max and maximum. Curtis suggested half-way for a setup with Sierras, and that seems reasonable. This is a way to adjust the bass output to your liking. If the bass seems weak, increase the level adjustment. Meeting your desires for bass is, IMHO, far more important than whether your sub output is exactly equal to your main speakers. Start at half-way, and if that seems too little or much to you, don't be afraid to adjust the level control. I can't comment on how using a high level setting will effect the maximum sound level from the sub, but so far my setup has provided all the output we need even for movies. Since I'm using Line In, I do not use High Level In. Next, Subwoofer Low Pass is set to EXT/12 (middle switch position). Since you set your crossover frequency in your receiver, you'll use the same. The other settings are for using the plate amps crossover. Rumble Filter is Off/1 (switch down). This is a personal preference, but my system has no known sources of rumble (like a turntable), and I don't play the system at high volume where damage to the sub might occur if some subsonic rumble did find it's way into the system. You can choose to set Rumble Filter On/2, and I doubt you will notice any sonic impact. Next, Extension Filter Freq is set to 14 (switch in uppermost position). This was the way the sub was set when received, and I left it there. This sets the low frequency rolloff to 14 Hz. The drawback to this setting is that it cuts the maximum output of the sub, something I have not found to be a problem here. Realistically, most music or movies have little content below 30 Hz. A setting of 20 is probably more than adequate for most everyone, and 14 is overkill, although I have an album with a warning label that states there are frequencies down to 5 Hz on the disk (T-Rex stomping through the woods). A 28 setting provides maximum output if you like really high, house-shaking levels from your sub on movie sound effects. Subs typically are tuned for 28 Hz performance for that reason (max boom/slam). Last, Extension Filter Damping is set to Mid (bottom switch position). According to Rythmik, this equates to a Q of 0.7. This Q is regarded as being maximally flat with greatest bass extension. The sub arrived here set to Damping Hi (middle switch position), a Q of 0.5. This Q is regarded as over-damped, but some people prefer that for really taut bass, and the rolloff is a bit shallower so there may seem to be a bit more low bass. Comparing frequency response curves, I saw no real advantage to the Hi setting, and the Mid setting gives a dB or two more output in the lowest part of the bass response. I could not tell the difference in my listening experience. The third Damping setting, Low (the top switch position), provides a Q of 0.9. This is a slightly under-damped response that causes a peak in the response curve in the 50-60 Hz region that some people like because it gives a "warmer" bass particularly on rock music where it boosts the kick drum and bass guitar. This Q has slightly less bass extension and a sharper rolloff, so is the least suited to low bass, if you like that. I suggest you try the different settings and see which one you like best.

Ok, so there you have it. Sorry for the length of this post. Again, IMHO, the most important settings are the ones you (and your housemate, domestic partner, significant other, or spouse, if that applies) like the best, not the ones the specs say are the best or anyone else says are the best. You can use mine as a starting point, but feel free to experiment to see what you like.

Enjoy!

Bill

Thanks TMH.....for a extensive breakdown on the subject. I think according to youre summery that I need to adjust the phase switch. My mains are about 8 feet from sub, and about 2 feet from 1rst listening positioning. I will try the 28hz bass ext. for that sonic boom for HT. Also I noticed you have two 15' subs, wow. What are youre main speakers and surrounds. I tell you this is the main reason I purchased the Sierra-1 from Ascend. I was in the market just for HT, but after listening to these speakers in pure audio it made me drag out my cd's and start listening to music more. So I was at the junction again. Well if every review I read suggesting Sierra's in pure audio with no sub at all. Maybe I can get by with a lesser sub for HT? Well thats when I read about Rythmic and Dave suggested that this sub would match the Sierras perfect than any other sub that he has tested. So I went with Dave's reccommendation, I wanted two perfect worlds HT/AUDIO. By georgie I beleive I have it. Have you ever listen to the Sierra's?

This is from the Onkyo FAQ set up suggestions on AVS. I use the Onkyo 705 as a pre/pro and this might help you. It worked for me. Go into the Onkyo setup and set the subwoofer level to - 3db. Then using your spl meter, adjust the volume level on the sub, using the receiver's test tones until you read 75db at your listening postion. On my Epik sub that was between 10 and 11 on the dial. Then run Audyssey. Do measurements from at least 8 postions. After completion make any changes like speakers lg to small, crossover etc. When I did it, Audyssey did not change the -3db setting. I'm assuming you do have the sub connected to the subwoofer pre/out connection on the receiver.