Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations please

Default recommendations please

Hi. I'm a new member in the forum and am looking or some recommendations. My room is 14'x18' by 9'. My speakers are JosephAudio monitors (rm7 MK2) and the JosephAudio cynergy center. I just sold an M&K 350 THX sub that was great for HT but a bit distorted with music. My main interest is music but my system doubles for home theater. I run a Bryston processor and 5 channel amp. I'm considering the D-15 SE and the SVS PB12-Plus. Also have heard rumors about a new Rythmik coming on line. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Default Re: recommendations please

Your room dimensions are almost exactly like mine, and a single 15" Rythmik does excellent with it.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by peterpollack View Post
    Hi. I'm a new member in the forum and am looking or some recommendations. My room is 14'x18' by 9'. My speakers are JosephAudio monitors (rm7 MK2) and the JosephAudio cynergy center. I just sold an M&K 350 THX sub that was great for HT but a bit distorted with music. My main interest is music but my system doubles for home theater. I run a Bryston processor and 5 channel amp. I'm considering the D-15 SE and the SVS PB12-Plus. Also have heard rumors about a new Rythmik coming on line. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
    Oooh rumors? Do tell
    Jon O.

Well rumor has it that a more powerful Rythmik sub is coming in about three months. Thats all I got.

Thanks for the info. That's very interesting to hear. Wish I knew about that...

Anyhow, the D-15 SE is a stellar unit - I have a pair in my ~24x17x8 room, and they have a great deal of impact, dig very low, and have very little overhang for music. I've been nothing but impressed so far, though I have plenty of tweaks to accomplish. I have them opposite corner-loaded and EQ'd with an Anti-Mode 8033 and Pioneer's MCACC (whatever little MCACC did above ~60Hz). Listening to 16Hz organ music does frightening things to my whole house.

That said, I don't have any experience with the SVS. My previous subs in that room are a Rocket UFW-10 and a Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo. Both were great for what they are meant to do, but the pair of D15's blend the strengths of both, albeit at a higher cost, of course.

Lastly, for what it's worth, if there is a newer, bigger Rythmik coming down the line, I will consider selling my two D15's and upgrading. I'm that impressed...
    Jon O.

Ahh...interesting...I see Brian has new 500/600W plate amps available for non-servo subs. Boo, but neat. Though even a servo version isn't enough for me to upgrade already. Unless a new servo 15"er had a very large increase in headroom/output levels, I'd probably wait to drool at something around 18" in size with servo...mmmm.

From: http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwo...amp-plate.html

Quote Originally Posted by AVforums post
    Anyway, the 500 and 600W amps don't support feedback like the 370W amp does, at least not for now. That would pretty much take away the whole point of going for a Rythmik for me.

Also, the DS1500 won't live with 600W. Brian says he is developing a 15" driver with a three inch voice coil to take more power, so there's more in the pipeline.
    Jon O.

Jonny....the Rythmiks are impressive. I was pretty sure you would find that out sooner or later. I am constantly impressed by how clean and the amount of impact the sub has, and to top it of, all with no overhang.

I think the term that Brian used in one of the thread over on AVS is "suddenness". The sub can hit you quickly, and then get out of the way.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis! Yeah, I just couldn't resist the pull of the servo I haven't posted a full 'review' yet because I haven't fully settled on locations for the subs in my room, EQ tweaks w/the AM and MCACC, etc etc.

And yup, I think Brian's term, "suddenness" is very apt. Have you watched Kung Fu Panda on Blu-Ray yet with your Rythmik? It's an absolute treat to say the least...
    Jon O.

Thanks for the information. I ordered two D-15 SE's. One for me and one for my son. Can't wait to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    And yup, I think Brian's term, "suddenness" is very apt. Have you watched Kung Fu Panda on Blu-Ray yet with your Rythmik? It's an absolute treat to say the least...
    One of my early customers used the term "startling effect" to describe how these subs convey the special effects of movies better than other subs. He used the example of a horse race in one movie. The horses was at a distance first, then the camera suddenly moved to the horses at close-up. The correct contrast of these two scenes made him feel like he was run over by those horses.
    Last edited by RythmikAudio; 03-26-2009 at 08:58 PM.