Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 5657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Default Re: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by genki View Post
    I am considering dual F12s as well. How is the performance with home theater? I know they will sound great for music but my only concern is a lack of punch for movies. Luckily my media room is small @1800cu ft.
    I know a lot of people worry about that with sealed subwoofers, but with Rythmik I don't think there's a problem. They go down so deep and accurately it's scary. They feel like they're punching you in the chest at super high volumes, it's amazing, it'll really put a smile on your face, I guarantee it. It'll scare people, cats, dogs, the neighbors, etc, while still being tactile and accurate. You'll hear things in bass notes you've never heard before and you'll be launched out of your chair during high LFE scenes in movies. Go for it, you'll be glad you did, I know I am.

Awesome. That's exactly what I am going for.

[QUOTE=sludgeogre;53244]I have my power amp and subwoofers plugged directly into the wall because they have their own protection in the amp, plus the conditioner I'm using doesn't have enough juice to service all of them. All of the rest of my electronics are plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

Do you recommend a furman power conditioner to protect the speakers? I have my AV receiver plugged into a cheap power strip.

[QUOTE=genki;53274]
    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I have my power amp and subwoofers plugged directly into the wall because they have their own protection in the amp, plus the conditioner I'm using doesn't have enough juice to service all of them. All of the rest of my electronics are plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

Do you recommend a furman power conditioner to protect the speakers? I have my AV receiver plugged into a cheap power strip.
    I swear by them. Depending on where you live the small power fluctuations on a daily basis can do more damage to equipment than a single large spike. Here in NYC my voltage varies quite a bit. My APC constantly adjusts. I just use the basic models, about $50. Others might have different views on their value or utility, and I'd be interested in hearing those views.

Of course, nothing can protect your speakers if you crank them too loud
    Last edited by surroundnewbie; 03-22-2016 at 04:07 AM.

I recently bought a Furman Elite power conditioner and while I can't say for sure... I think my recordings sound cleaner and ever so slightly more clear. The quiet parts seem quieter.. if that makes sense. Now, most of this is admittedly probably just the placebo effect but it is an added benefit for me.

Plus, I have some piece of mind that there is some protection in place for my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by freesole View Post
    I recently bought a Furman Elite power conditioner and while I can't say for sure... I think my recordings sound cleaner and ever so slightly more clear. The quiet parts seem quieter.. if that makes sense. Now, most of this is admittedly probably just the placebo effect but it is an added benefit for me.

Plus, I have some piece of mind that there is some protection in place for my gear.
    I had the same experience, thought it sounds better, and the same reaction: "nah, that's crazy." Or is it?

This really has me thinking. I'm having some problems with distortion ONLY when people shout really loudly in movies. I hope it's not my Horizon center, and I really think it isn't because the distortion is extremely repeatable in that it happens at the same spots and sounds exactly the same each time. I live in an older rental home and my whole theater is on one circuit so another theory I have is that I'm running out of clean power. I don't really want to spend the money right now, but if it'll clear up that distortion, I'm all for it.

Well, Musicdirect and Crutchfield both have fairly good 60 day return policies. This extends to power conditioners as well. If you don't see a marked improvement, you can always return it. Given that flexibility I don't think it hurts too much to give it a try!

Well, Musicdirect and Crutchfield both have fairly good 60 day return policies. This extends to power conditioners as well. If you don't see a marked improvement, you can always return it. Given that flexibility I don't think it hurts too much to give it a try!
    I was thinking about that as well. I've also seen that many power conditioner companies don't offer a warranty on items bought from Amazon, while Crutchfield offers full warranty coverage, so if I do decide to buy one, I'll buy from them or buy local at Best Buy (No sales tax in Oregon, woo!)

I have a Furman M-8X2 conditioner at home that I'm going to try running my amp through tonight. I had worried that it wasn't providing enough power previously, but I think that is unfounded as I've seen guys using them with amp stacks at concerts. We'll see what it does, but I'm doubting it'll fix my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    This really has me thinking. I'm having some problems with distortion ONLY when people shout really loudly in movies. I hope it's not my Horizon center, and I really think it isn't because the distortion is extremely repeatable in that it happens at the same spots and sounds exactly the same each time. I live in an older rental home and my whole theater is on one circuit so another theory I have is that I'm running out of clean power. I don't really want to spend the money right now, but if it'll clear up that distortion, I'm all for it.
    This seems more of a source issue than anything else, maybe electronics, but not outlet power. I don't think a power conditioner will be a remedy.

How loud do listen to material?

To eliminate a possible issue either Horizon, swap the connection with one of your mains, and see if the problem persists.