Page 60 of 89 FirstFirst ... 5556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Default Re: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

12821328_10101981772424168_3225924713978838525_n.jpg

Finally got my setup all hooked up. Haven't ran Audyssey yet as I enjoy everything without room correction so much right now. Not pictured are two Klipsch RB-15's that I'm using for surrounds until the Sierra Sats are released. I can't wait for those!

The towers have taken a while to break in. The tweeters are unlike anything I've heard in a floorstander before. They are so neutral and lifelike in every way. I get what people are saying with that "disconnected" feeling that they give. You expect some movie scenes to be a lot louder because you're so used to normal speakers that shout at you instead of truly and honestly recreating every scene. Even my old Magnepan Tympani 1D's had a more forceful approach to the highs. It takes a while to get used to for sure. They lost their composure a couple of times and broke apart in the first 10 hours of using them, but as I've continued to break them in, everything has become a lot more relaxed. The subwoofers took a few hours to start running well, too. They were very quiet at first, but then started making themselves known. It is hard to tell that they're on sometimes, because they blend so well and the bass they produce is completely free of overhang and ringing, especially with the rumble filter turned on. I usually run them at about half volume, but sometimes I crank them 3 notches up, and holy crap does the LFE just make you jump out of your seat! It's really quite an experience. I can't wait to have a dedicated theater room so I can run them like that all day.

Can't help ask. What function do the skulls do? Are those of the previous speaker designer's :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    Can't help ask. What function do the skulls do? Are those of the previous speaker designer's :-)
    It's funny, I've posted this picture and a little review on two Facebook groups and on AVS forum, and about half the comments I get are on the skull towers, haha. They're just cool. My girlfriend and I are really into Halloween and gothic type stuff (we're also big death metal fans) and I picked up the skull towers and other stuff at Costco for 75 bucks each. They have red LED's in the eyes as well that look pretty cool I just thought they would look awesome flanking my speakers, and they totally do.

Beautiful! Is that Steve Wilson on the screen?

I hope you all are protecting these beautiful pre-pros, amps, powered subs and transports, etc. with true line conditioners, and not simply power strip/surge protectors! Upgrading to APC and Furman was the best thing I ever did for my equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by surroundnewbie View Post
    I hope you all are protecting these beautiful pre-pros, amps, powered subs and transports, etc. with true line conditioners, and not simply power strip/surge protectors! Upgrading to APC and Furman was the best thing I ever did for my equipment!
    I have my power amp and subwoofers plugged directly into the wall because they have their own protection in the amp, plus the conditioner I'm using doesn't have enough juice to service all of them. All of the rest of my electronics are plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

Beautiful! Is that Steve Wilson on the screen?
    Thanks! Yes, that is the Get All You Deserve blu-ray. Still waiting for The Raven That Refused To Sing. The live concert is awesome and sounds great, but I certainly prefer his studio work.

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I have my power amp and subwoofers plugged directly into the wall because they have their own protection in the amp, plus the conditioner I'm using doesn't have enough juice to service all of them. All of the rest of my electronics are plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

Thanks! Yes, that is the Get All You Deserve blu-ray. Still waiting for The Raven That Refused To Sing. The live concert is awesome and sounds great, but I certainly prefer his studio work.
    Excellent! I need more Steve W. in my musical diet, love his stuff. As for the power conditioner, I swear I can hear the difference in my setup with the "cleaner" electricity, but I've probably been reading too many articles about how $10,000 cables are reeeallllly worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    12821328_10101981772424168_3225924713978838525_n.jpg

Finally got my setup all hooked up. Haven't ran Audyssey yet as I enjoy everything without room correction so much right now. Not pictured are two Klipsch RB-15's that I'm using for surrounds until the Sierra Sats are released. I can't wait for those!

The towers have taken a while to break in. The tweeters are unlike anything I've heard in a floorstander before. They are so neutral and lifelike in every way. I get what people are saying with that "disconnected" feeling that they give. You expect some movie scenes to be a lot louder because you're so used to normal speakers that shout at you instead of truly and honestly recreating every scene. Even my old Magnepan Tympani 1D's had a more forceful approach to the highs. It takes a while to get used to for sure. They lost their composure a couple of times and broke apart in the first 10 hours of using them, but as I've continued to break them in, everything has become a lot more relaxed. The subwoofers took a few hours to start running well, too. They were very quiet at first, but then started making themselves known. It is hard to tell that they're on sometimes, because they blend so well and the bass they produce is completely free of overhang and ringing, especially with the rumble filter turned on. I usually run them at about half volume, but sometimes I crank them 3 notches up, and holy crap does the LFE just make you jump out of your seat! It's really quite an experience. I can't wait to have a dedicated theater room so I can run them like that all day.
    Nice setup, is that emotiva amp? Did you try running your horizons without the amp? How was the sound ? Thanks

Excellent! I need more Steve W. in my musical diet, love his stuff. As for the power conditioner, I swear I can hear the difference in my setup with the "cleaner" electricity, but I've probably been reading too many articles about how $10,000 cables are reeeallllly worth the money
    It's not a very expensive conditioner and I'd have to drop a fair amount of money for something that would handle both of the subs and the amp. I'm lucky that I live in an area where all of the electricity comes from hydroelectric dams, so the power is extremely stable. When I lived in Vegas I had noise and grounding problems and we had black outs and brown outs. I've never had one issue or a single power outage out here in Eugene, Orgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by braaaaay View Post
    Nice setup, is that emotiva amp? Did you try running your horizons without the amp? How was the sound ? Thanks
    Thanks, yes it's an Emotiva XPA-5 connected to a Marantz AV7701 processor. I don't know how I'd run the Horizon or Sierras without an amp, they need power. I haven't tried powering them with anything else.

It sounds incredible, super realistic, dynamic, clean, every great word for sound you can think of. I thought they needed break in, but it was just my brain needing to get adjusted to how the RAAL tweeters sound.

I am considering dual F12s as well. How is the performance with home theater? I know they will sound great for music but my only concern is a lack of punch for movies. Luckily my media room is small @1800cu ft.
    Last edited by genki; 03-19-2016 at 02:06 PM.