Page 49 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Default Re: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    Here's another wonderfully overexposed photo of my setup: satin espresso Sierra Towers / Horizon with RAAL ribbon tweeters, Rythmik F15HP, Denon 4311CI, Sony XBR-55HX929.

The center is angled up 4 degrees with Auralex foam wedges from a ProPADs kit. I might add another layer to get the angle to 8 degrees. The right tower is about 1.5' from the wall, an unfortunate compromise due to overall room layout.

Really nice looking setup. When I saw the satin espresso finish in person I was floored, it was beautiful. If Dave had them in stock I would have went against my wife's wishes and purchased them because they were that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    Really nice looking setup. When I saw the satin espresso finish in person I was floored, it was beautiful. If Dave had them in stock I would have went against my wife's wishes and purchased them because they were that nice.
    Very clean..very nice

kisakuku

Just wondering how did you manage to place the pointed legs on the tiny bases on the hard wood floor? It is not very easy to see in the pic but did you stick furniture pads to the bottom of the small round bases?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    kisakuku

Just wondering how did you manage to place the pointed legs on the tiny bases on the hard wood floor? It is not very easy to see in the pic but did you stick furniture pads to the bottom of the small round bases?
    Yes, BB&B carries pads of the right diameter in tan and brown. It completely defeats the purpose of those spikes (not that they have any purpose if you don't have carpeted floors), but I'm using them solely to prevent my Roomba from rolling onto the speaker bases.

hey Jahjd2000: I would love to know how do babes, sound in your the room where your set up is. do they play loud with a good and solid mid & low in of them self without a sub. i would like to hear them my self but don't know anybody in my with some to see and hear them...thanks JWalker

Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    hey Jahjd2000: I would love to know how do babes, sound in your the room where your set up is. do they play loud with a good and solid mid & low in of them self without a sub. i would like to hear them my self but don't know anybody in my with some to see and hear them...thanks JWalker
    I'm using a Denon 4311 and the towers/center get plenty loud. There's something interesting about the Ascends though. I can't quite put my finger on it so I'll recycle a comment from someone else. Paraphrasing...someone said when you turn up the volume, the Ascends get 'bigger', not necessarily just louder. It's hard to describe and really it's something you have to hear but I agree with the statement. But the short answer is, yes they can get ridiculously loud. One thing about my set up, because my living is fairly small, Audyssey attenuates the speakers quite a bit. Levels are set to -7 across the front and the eq correction seems to add to the attenuation as well (when I turn Audyssey off it get considerably louder). Again I don't have a volume problem in my room but I do play it on average at -10 when watching movies.

My living room is far from ideal. I have a lot of hard surfaces (hardwood w/o rug), glass windows nearby, open to dining room, vaulted ceilings. So while I could probably improve my sound by room treatments, the Ascends still sound really good in my environment. One of the things I appreciate the most is the sound stage. The separation of instruments and rich details are superb. I found myself listening to other types of music, ones that use more instruments. Well recorded live performances sound amazing too.

As for the low end, I'm a sub guy and so I have an Epik Empire rounding out the lows. But, when I listen to music, I typically do so in 'direct' mode w/o sub. IMO the sound is more pure this way. Is the low end commensurate to that of a sub? No, but you can't expect 6.5" mids to keep up with two 15"s. But it's a different sound, and I like it. I honestly need to do more listening to music -- lately have been really busy. I'll give it a good listen and really hone in on the low end and mids. Typically I'm listening for instruments I've never heard before.

So yes, I think they sound good without a sub -- albeit I play it at louder volumes when not using a sub which seems to bring out the details more. But I'd also recommend a sub if you plan to use it with HT, as there's no substitute.

Glad to see this thread I started 6+ years ago, still lives on! Very cool.

From my original post, speakers still holding strong (340SEs LCR; Hsu VTF3mkII; 200 rears). But, after helping friend select Rythmik F15SE, am VERY tempted to consider a similar upgrade. Have to say, I love my Hsu, but doesn't compare to the F15SE... IMHO. Thanks for the rec Curtis, from a few years back.

Anyway, keep posting those pics everyone!
    Main TV setup:
    Ascend 340 SE fronts
    200 surrounds
    Sony SS-CSE Atmos Speakers
    Hsu VTF3-mkII
    Yamaha 7850 receiver
    LG UBKC90 Blu Ray player
    TivoHD
    PS3 (yup, not a 4!)

Keyboard setup:
    170SE surrounds
    Pio 74txvi receiver
    Pio 588 for DVDA/SACD

Ok, let's try this.

Keep in mind I intertwined two different setups, one 5.1 HT, the other a dedicated stereo system.

ascend 5.jpg

I guess it's only allowing me one pic at a time... Anyhow, for the HT this one shows **** as surrounds, JBL as mains and JBL center all ran by a Panasonic AVR plus a Yamaha active servo sub. The TV is a Sony Bravia. For the stereo, the magnificent Sierra Towers with Raals are powered by a limited edition Marantz reference stereo only receiver and the source is the also outstanding, the VPI classic 1 turntable.

This shows how I centered the sweet spot perfectly for both systems (right end corner of sofa):

ascend 9.jpg

And the following is my man cave!

ascend 7.jpg

ascend 8.jpg

Sorry if these last two are not upright, not sure how to do that.