Page 48 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Default Re: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Hi! my name is Walker I'm looking to purchase a set just like this one have. can you tell me how do they sound with the ribbon tweeter. i think for what they offer with their speaker line some of the other guys can't match. and how long do you need to break them into their full performance.thanks cali. standing by

I would be interested in seeing Horizons set up as a L/C/R My plan is to run two or even three across the front but I have yet to see any responses if the L/R can be set vertically and what that does to the sound.
    Last edited by Mr McIntosh; 05-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr McIntosh View Post
    I would be interested in seeing Horizons set up as a L/C/R My plan is to run two or even three across the front but I have yet to see any responses if the L/R can be set vertically and what that does to the sound.
    Here is what Dave said in the first post of the Horizon thread:
    Not only are these the absolute perfect match to the Sierra Towers, but their performance as mains is causing me to re-think everything. Although this is EASILY the absolute best center I have ever heard, I must re-consider our original intention to market this speaker as a “center” Their performance as left/right mains is, quite frankly, astonishing and I can see many people using these as fronts.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...-Tower-Center)

At the very least you'd have to rotate the tweeters 90 degrees for L/R. Alternatively, maybe you should inquire about Dave's plans for vertical "skinny" Horizons.

I saw the photo that Dave posted and it has perked my interest. The skinny Horizon would suit my needs even more so. I'll have to do a wait and see. With the dramatic change in cabinet size I would think that it would effect the sound rather it be good or bad as compared to the original design. I know that Dave had mention that there is some dispersion change in the sound field, but that would not be a concern to me.

It would also be a huge leap for me not having own any Ascend Acoustic products...but you only live once and there is sooo much music and so little time. The reviews that I've been reading over the last year have pretty much sold me.
    Last edited by Mr McIntosh; 05-26-2013 at 08:43 PM.

With the dramatic change in cabinet size I would think that it would effect the sound rather it be good or bad as compared to the original design. I know that Dave had mention that there is some dispersion change in the sound field, but that would not be a concern to me.
    It was my understanding that both regular and slim Horizons have the same internal volume as the Sierra Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    It was my understanding that both regular and slim Horizons have the same internal volume as the Sierra Towers.
    I think we should move this conversation to the Horizon and Tower thread as we are not posting photos.
    See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    Correct -- we are managing to keep internal volumes (including sealed midrange chamber) nearly identical. While there will be a change in sound due to changes in the front baffle size, we compensate for this in the crossover.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Correct -- we are managing to keep internal volumes (including sealed midrange chamber) nearly identical. While there will be a change in sound due to changes in the front baffle size, we compensate for this in the crossover.
    I came back here because of Dave's response. I am going to wait till the Skinny Horizons and Sierra 2 are out. As my name implies I am a McIntosh fan and will wait for these two new speakers to be released. I can't wait to hear the McIntosh/Ascend combo.

I just ordered a pair of CMT-340 for the cottage today ( Thank you Dina) and as these are my first Ascend speakers I will be looking forward to their arrival. However when the others are available the 340's will be put to other use.

There are no plans currently to make the "low profile" nor the "skinny (shallow depth from front to back)" Horizon speakers a part of the regular lineup.

Quite a few people have ordered the low profile Horizon, which is 8.5 inches tall, rather than 11 inches, and the mid-range driver and tweeter are side-by-side in order to make that low profile 8.5" height possible. The low profile Horizon can also be positioned vertically for use as a front ported, stand mounted Front Main speaker.

The original low profile plans had it at 32.5" wide and 11.5" deep. Several folks have opted for a deeper cabinet so that it doesn't have to be so wide. And similarly, when used vertically, making it deeper from front to back allows it to be shorter, since 32.5" is quite tall for a stand mounted speaker

I've personally ordered a pair of 32.5" tall x 8.5" wide x 11.5" deep low profile Horizon speakers in a vertical orientation for use as my front main speakers

The "skinny" Horizon, so far as I know, mine is the first of its kind. I needed a Horizon Center that is as shallow from front to back as it could be. Dave worked out a cabinet that is 11" tall x 40" wide x 7.5" deep. The 11" height means the tweeter is above the mid-range driver, just like the standard Horizon speaker. But in order to make it a mere 7.5" from front to back, it grew to 40 inches wide! So it's nearly as wide as a standard Sierra Tower is tall! But yeah, from front to back, it's about as skinny as is possible while still having room for the RAAL ribbon tweeter

But, as I say, both the low profile and the skinny Horizon are only available as custom speakers. The Sierra-2 bookshelf speaker will be added to the regular lineup. But if you want a low profile or a skinny Horizon, you'll need to custom order. Otherwise, you might be waiting for a very very long time, indeed!