Page 45 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

Default Re: Ascend Owners Photo Gallery

I've not had a lot of experience with separate components before the Emotiva setup, but the speakers are certainly not hurting for power in the least. In fact, the XPA-2 is probably overkill.

For reference, the Emotiva components include (1) XPA-2 amplifier, (2) USP-1 preamp, (3) ERC-2 cd-player. and (4) UMC-1 processor for movies. I still have my trusty Oppo BDP-80 for blu-ray.

The XPA-2 with USP-1 is dead silent--no buzzing or any other noticeable noise. Switching to the UMC-1 (using the HT bypass of the USP-1) adds a bit of noise, but it's not overly noticeable.

As for the sound, well these are the Sierra Towers after all I prefer a bit heavier bass, and my room is not very obliging, so I splurged for two Rythmik F-12 subs. Two subs definitely seem to help produce more even low bass output (actually, it was kind of weird when I had just one sub connected as I played a song containing heavy bass which caused an uncomfortable pressure feeling in my ears. When I incorporated the second sub, the strange ear-pressure thing vanished).

I did add attenuators to the amp output as the volume step increases with the USP-1 are a bit much. At some point, I may switch to the XSP-1 which doesn't have this shortcoming.

Overall, the system sounds 10X better than my former speakers with standard home theater receiver. The problem now is that I am itching to add a Sierra Horizon, but that would require purchasing an additional amp... and then I would feel obligated to get surround speakers. It's a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by sesquipedalian View Post
    I've not had a lot of experience with separate components before the Emotiva setup, but the speakers are certainly not hurting for power in the least. In fact, the XPA-2 is probably overkill.

For reference, the Emotiva components include (1) XPA-2 amplifier, (2) USP-1 preamp, (3) ERC-2 cd-player. and (4) UMC-1 processor for movies. I still have my trusty Oppo BDP-80 for blu-ray.

The XPA-2 with USP-1 is dead silent--no buzzing or any other noticeable noise. Switching to the UMC-1 (using the HT bypass of the USP-1) adds a bit of noise, but it's not overly noticeable.

As for the sound, well these are the Sierra Towers after all I prefer a bit heavier bass, and my room is not very obliging, so I splurged for two Rythmik F-12 subs. Two subs definitely seem to help produce more even low bass output (actually, it was kind of weird when I had just one sub connected as I played a song containing heavy bass which caused an uncomfortable pressure feeling in my ears. When I incorporated the second sub, the strange ear-pressure thing vanished).

I did add attenuators to the amp output as the volume step increases with the USP-1 are a bit much. At some point, I may switch to the XSP-1 which doesn't have this shortcoming.

Overall, the system sounds 10X better than my former speakers with standard home theater receiver. The problem now is that I am itching to add a Sierra Horizon, but that would require purchasing an additional amp... and then I would feel obligated to get surround speakers. It's a slippery slope.
    Thanks for the information

A sub accompanies my sierra1s now, love it. It all looks especially nice at certain times of day.

Quote Originally Posted by t3ss View Post
    A sub accompanies my sierra1s now, love it. It all looks especially nice at certain times of day.

Very nice. How tall are your speaker stands? I'm thinking of buying some of the same ones but can't decide if I should go for the 26" or 31" stand.

The speaker stands are 31" tall, in my opinion it seems like the perfect height as the tweeters are ear-level when I sit down on my couch.

Hello everyone,

I don't post here much, but I'm an active "listener" on this forum... Been meaning to post some pics of my set-up and finally got around to doing it.

My music/HT room is not big - 14'x11'x9'; hence, so many absorption panels. I have them on all the walls, plus a couple on the ceiling. I've also built a resonator box that I placed against the back wall behind the four 2'x4' absorption panels that are stacked up behind the listening chair.

Normally, when doing serious listening, I'll remove the TV and hide it in the closet to do away with unnecessary reflections. This way the panel that's behind the TV can do a better job adding depth to the sound stage.

The speakers are about 4' from the front wall and over 2' from the side walls. My ears - when I'm in the chair - are about 4' from the back wall. Alas, that leaves only about a 6' distance between the speakers and the listening position, which is why I wished the room was bigger to allow for proper driver integration. I believe I made the best of what I got though...

The sound? Absolutely incredible! Dave has created a gem in Sierra Towers. I have an ear-to-ear grin every time I do some 2-channel listening or watch a movie. The bass, the mids, the highs, the dynamics, all the detail, and no fatigue whatsoever. I am an incredibly satisfied customer...

gene

MR_1.JPGMR-2.JPGMR-3.JPGMR-4.JPG

That looks like a sweet music set up. That must be awesome good sound.

Sweet! All you need now is a little end table for your remotes.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    That looks like a sweet music set up. That must be awesome good sound.
    I'm quite happy with the sound, although I don't have much to compare it with...

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Sweet! All you need now is a little end table for your remotes.
    I know, too many remotes. I don't think my poor daughter, who's five now, will ever learn to work the system...

Wow, nice hardcore music setup with some serious room treatments. Wish I could do room treatments.