Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

Default Re: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

I guess even if you designed the perfect speaker, people would want something even more perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    They are not really a ribbon tweeter. Some new, patented design. They act like an accordian by squeezing/compressing air waves rather than pushing and contracting them. The cabinets are a solid piece of a Corian-like synthetic marble material, cast as one piece and lined inside with 5mm thick MDF to give a warmer sound than a stone-like enclosure would give.

Never heard of them until I inquired about Virtue Audio's Virtue.One/Two tri-path amps, and the owner said they drove Mark & Daniel speakers well. So I googled them!
    marble, holy crap that's cool, reminded me of storm troopers to be honest. that would be terrible if it tipped over though, haha. do you know the tech name of the tweeter? i didn't readily see it in the review

Dreams (Directly Responding Emitter by Air Motion Structure) wideband driver, based on the Air Motion Transformer principle invented by Dr. Oscar Heil in the 1970s.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

we are off-topic, but here is another review with measurements of another Mark&Daniel speaker using a tweeter with the same technology...not sure if it is the same tweeter.
    http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20080701.htm
    -curtis

Although it would be nice to see a Sierra-2, I am not sure of its place. If it was say twice the cost it would take away from the affordability that Ascend is famous for IMO. But on the other hand I would be interested in a Sierra-2 for sure. I think what Dave is doing now is smart in todays economy. By that I mean staying with a limited well designed affordable line of speakers.

I had a number of speakers from av123 a few years back. At the time they had Rocket and Ref lines. Now they have more models than I can keep track of and it appears the company is in serious trouble. I guess my point is that Dave is happy with limited speaker offerings while Mark from av123 is doing the opposite. I think Dave has the right idea IMO.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Never heard of them until I inquired about Virtue Audio's Virtue.One/Two tri-path amps, and the owner said they drove Mark & Daniel speakers well. So I googled them!
    M&D speakers were notorious for being awful loads to drive and (IIRC) at least one of their models was heavily criticized by many folks and they ended up redesigning the crossovers. My memory is failing me though - you can check with the guy who runs tweekgeek - he used to sell them, but it doesn't look like he does anymore.

I heard a pair once a few years ago, but not since.

I recall the Heils from the 70s, Its great to see someone still using and advancing this technology.
    In a way you can think of a two-way speaker/ sub-woofer as a three-way speaker.
    Taking this a step further you can think of a ported two-way speaker as a three-way speaker if you consider the tuned port as another speaker, working primarily in the lower frequencies.

Three-way speakers have added complexities such as speaker blending, additional crossover, and cabinet design and build, but when done well using quality components and a great cabinet can sound tremendous.

I recall some of them older JBL three-ways sounded pretty good.

Yes, and I think a three-way Ascend product would sound pretty darn nice. I'm sure it would put a hit on many other more expensive mfg out there, much like the Sierra-1 has done.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy View Post
    M&D speakers were notorious for being awful loads to drive and (IIRC) at least one of their models was heavily criticized by many folks and they ended up redesigning the crossovers. My memory is failing me though - you can check with the guy who runs tweekgeek - he used to sell them, but it doesn't look like he does anymore.

I heard a pair once a few years ago, but not since.
    "At a rated sensitivity of 85dB/W/m, the Maximus Monitor is a relatively tough speaker to drive. M&D recommends a minimum 100Wpc into the speaker’s nominal 4-ohm impedance." I took this from the site in previous post. The Sierra's are also about the same sensitivity-- are they easier to drive b/c they are 8 ohm?
    It seems like if there ever was a Sierra 2 for the higher end, I'd think it'd be more like an MTM configuration-- the Sierra 1 already has a great FR, and an MTM would benefit it in higher efficiency, similar to one of 340 and 170's differences.

I've never heard a ribbon tweeter before, but from the reviews of the Murata ES103A, I'm curious whether the sound improvements people here are referring to are similar to the addition of an after-market super-tweeter or there is some advantage of designing a 3-way with a ribbon.