Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

Default Re: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

Given DaveF's track record and some things mentioned on the forum, I expect a smaller Sierra would come before something larger.

DaveF is pretty firmly in the sat+sub camp, so I wouldn't expect many larger speakers from him. I think a single model of full-range Sierras would be a fun flagship item that might attract some attention, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    Hello,

I've got a pair of the Sierra's and love them. I'd like to know if there are future plans for a 3-way speaker, or what's next after the Sierra's?

Thanks,
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    I was thinking that since they've made such a great two-way speaker, a potential three-way might be in the works.
    Hi kamaboko,

I am pleased that you are enjoying your Sierra-1! I would be curious to know what advantage you feel a 3-way speaker offers over a 2-way like the Sierra-1. What do you feel is missing from the Sierra-1 or what additional performance features would you like to see?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hello Dave,

Well, I certainly didn’t expect to get a reply from you, but I’m glad to see it. First, I’m not here to start a firestorm. I do own a pair of the Sierra’s and am very happy with them. I think their price point and performance is unmatched. That said, I’ve heard some amazing three-way speakers that produce an incredible stage presence (e.g., Salk Varacity HT3), and thought “what could Ascend produce in way of a three-way speaker?” And if Ascend did have something like that in the works, when would it be released?

I'm not here to argue the science of acoustics and the value of two-speakers over three.

Thanks,
    K

I also dont know myself if there are advantages/disadvantages from 2 to 3 way speakers but I alo would like to see some improvements above and beyond the current sierra in a different model of course. Don't get me wrong, I love them and for their price, they are unmatched. The areas I would like to see improved upon would be mainly the high frequency clarity/detail. I recently heard a pair of Salk Song Towers with the LCY Ribbon Tweeter and they extended futher on the top end by revealing more detail without a hint or harshness. I did hear these Salks side by side my sierras in my room with my gear also. The mids on the Salks were also a bit clearer with more instrument seperation. Again these speakers(Ribbon version) cost nearly 3 times the current sierra, but if a new model was to be developed, I hope these areas would be addressed. Having a larger "budget" to work with, the next sierra model could possibly utilize drivers with more capability and increased performance.

We all can dream

Hope the mad scientist(Dave) has some thoughts up his sleeve

+1.

I'm also a happy Sierra owner but would be very open to an upgrade if Ascend introduces something new with more capabilities.

The only time I was at someone else's house to listen to the speaker when I heard the songtowers. I just wanted to check whether these speakers were hyped up or were they real. I was impressed. (These were not ribbon twiters). But as someone else said, they are more than twice the price and size...

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi kamaboko,

I am pleased that you are enjoying your Sierra-1! I would be curious to know what advantage you feel a 3-way speaker offers over a 2-way like the Sierra-1. What do you feel is missing from the Sierra-1 or what additional performance features would you like to see?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!
    I'd like to see the Sierra-2 at least match, and preferably exceed the "power" capability of the 340SE (ie: be more sensitive than it), and the bi-amp feature restored. For me, its easier to think of a more expensive speaker as being an upgrade speaker if it can do everything the former/cheaper one can.... and then some.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Azanon,

Here is a similar sized monitor speaker. It is roughly 2x the price of the Sierra-1, requires a minimum of 80 high current watts to sound decent, and yet has 1 set of very similar looking binding posts as the Sierras. Don't get caught up with bi-wiring. If the speaker and crossover are well designed it should not be an issue.

Now, I'd be curious as to how well the Sierra-1 compares to this.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m...l3/ruby_3.html
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

heck, the stands alone cost almost as much as Sierras.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    heck, the stands alone cost almost as much as Sierras.
    nice looking speakers, i was under the impression ribbon tweeters were older technology-- I guess it has come a long way...but those stands are definitely a bit pricey, haha

They are not really a ribbon tweeter. Some new, patented design. They act like an accordian by squeezing/compressing air waves rather than pushing and contracting them. The cabinets are a solid piece of a Corian-like synthetic marble material, cast as one piece and lined inside with 5mm thick MDF to give a warmer sound than a stone-like enclosure would give.

Never heard of them until I inquired about Virtue Audio's Virtue.One/Two tri-path amps, and the owner said they drove Mark & Daniel speakers well. So I googled them!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables