Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

Default Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

Hello,

I've got a pair of the Sierra's and love them. I'd like to know if there are future plans for a 3-way speaker, or what's next after the Sierra's?

Thanks,
    K

Default Re: Any plans for a 3-way speaker?

One thing I've noticed after hanging around here awhile is that Dave ain't the kiss and tell type. If he had a killer 3 way tower all ready to go, we wouldn't know until it was in the warehouse ready for shipping.
    - EVH III

haha, that's probably true.

I always though a mini-mtm would be a cool idea

I think 3-ways are a bit expensive overall (more involved crossovers), cabinet issues to deal with as well. The sierra's are probably better than most 3-ways in that relative price range to begin with, so..

I was thinking that since they've made such a great two-way speaker, a potential three-way might be in the works.

Maybe Dave is of the opine that 2-ways are a better design than 3-ways?

Cost vs value. For the added cost, how much better would a 3-way be...if any at all.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    Maybe Dave is of the opine that 2-ways are a better design than 3-ways?
    That very well may be one aspect. In business, including an ID speaker business has to develop a business philosophy. They can't be all things to all people. Without a focused business/product philosophy, success becomes much harder.

I'm sure Dave's experience in the industry helped him determine what products and design philosphy he'd like to pursue. Ascend's success in the market and popularity among reviewers tends to indicate he's on to something. From what I know, I don't see where 3 ways would fit into the Ascend product line and design philosophy. Building a 3 way would add to bulk, cost and complexity, without arguably any significant gains. I can argue that Sierra's and one of the Rhthmik subs can handle just about anything a good 3 way system could handle with some significant advantages.

Doug

Even though I'm not a Sierra customer (sorry!) I do admire how they seem to stick with a niche that they know very well, and keep things consistent within that niche. Like you said, they can't be all things to all people. It keeps people clear on what to expect from the brand and also, since they have such a high reputation in the industry they must be doing something right!

So...the answer is "no".

Without hearing from the man, himself, I'd say the answer is either "yes", "no", or "no right now".
    - EVH III