Thread: Progressive scan?

If you have component inputs on your TV, you should be able to use that connection for the progressive scan feature of the DVD player. Although, I do think some TVs (usually older models) have interlaced component connections. You should check out your TVs manual and see if the component connection is 480p or 480i.

I looked up the model on the NET and it says the input is not progressive scan. Would there be any visible benefit to running P/S anyway?

MAG

Just because a tv has component inputs does not mean it can accept a progressive scan signal. All hd ready tvs can display a progressive signal, but very few non-hd tvs can.

Derek

If the component input is interlaced and not progressive you will not be able to view a progressive scan signal at all.

Thanks for the responses. I'll just leave the video non-progressive thru the component inputs with whatever player I finally end up with, at least until I upgrade my TV. I am still undecided as to which player I will get, but I am setting the budget at $200 max.

MAG

Mag,

If you just want a stop gap player until you upgrade your TV, check out the Toshiba 3950. I picked one up for a spare player, it is prog scan, but I don't need that with my TV. I believe Amazon has them for around $40.00 after rebate, with free shipping too.

Any player I buy I'd have to live with for many years(the W.A.F!). I am leaning towards either Toshiba or Samsung - the Pioneer 563a I was considering seems to get fairly negative reviews online. I am waiting for the new Toshiba universal player to hit the stores. I believe it is under $200. I don't know a lot about Samsung, but my Best Buy friend likes his Samsund DVD player. Time will tell.

MAG

JohnnyCasaba,
    Is there a multi-disk player you like? I was checking out that Toshiba you mentioned and it seems like a good deal. Just wondering if there a carasol or multi that works as well and is inexpensive like the Toshiba?

Ed A,

Don't know of any multi-disc players at the moment that seem to be getting any buzz, I picked up this one last year http://www.epinions.com/Pioneer_DVC_...splay_~reviews on a closeout sale for $80.00. It is not a prog scan player, but it plays any disc I throw at it (VCD, SVCD, DVD-R and DVD+R's) and has both coax and optical outs. Maybe you could search the DVD player forum at AVS for some more options.