Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    I can't bring myself to go Sierra-1 because of the give and take that happens coming from a 340SE.
    The only thing the Sierra gives to the 340SE is ultimate output. If someone is pushing their system to those levels with the 340SE, then I agree, but I doubt there are many.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The only thing the Sierra gives to the 340SE is ultimate output. If someone is pushing their system to those levels with the 340SE, then I agree, but I doubt there are many.
    You'd have to have a really large room or like it really loud to need that extra headroom from the 340.

I love the idea of a Sierra 0.5....whether for surround duty or possibly desktop use. It seems it could be a major competitor to the Era D4.

I've listened to as high as -14 db on my Marantz 7002 with the 340SE's - though I try to minimize the time that I listen to that high a volume (to not hurt my ears). That doesn't seem like enough breathing room to move to a less sensitive speaker. Sure, one could blame my amp, but this is a $1399 retail A/V.

That was my aside point, not the main one though. Just not sure where a 0.5 speaker would come in. Re: PC speakers, there's already some award winning, powered ones out there that I'd go with (that don't break the bank). I really wouldn't get putting super high end speakers on a PC.
    Last edited by azanon; 04-05-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

I've listened to as high as -14 db on my Marantz 7002 with the 340SE's - though I try to minimize the time that I listen to that high a volume (to not hurt my ears). That doesn't seem like enough breathing room to move to a less sensitive speaker. Sure, one could blame my amp, but this is a $1399 retail A/V.

That was my aside point, not the main one though. Just not sure where a 0.5 speaker would come in. Re: PC speakers, there's already some award winning, powered ones out there that I'd go with (that don't break the bank). I really wouldn't get putting super high end speakers on a PC.
    As far as the Sierra and 340SE are concerned, take the time to compare and make the evaluation. I am sure your amp will drive the Sierras fine.

As for the being developed Sierra 0.5, if you look at the Era D4, there is certainly a market for that size of speaker in the same supposed price range. Certainly not limited to a PC speaker, but there are some fine sounding systems built around a PC.
    -curtis

Just not sure where a 0.5 speaker would come in. Re: PC speakers, there's already some award winning, powered ones out there that I'd go with (that don't break the bank). I really wouldn't get putting super high end speakers on a PC.
    I'm not talking about using them to listen to MP3's through a PC's onboard sound.

But I believe some would value them for a PC music system with a high end sound card or good external DAC (via USB) feeding a quality integrated amp...of couse listening to uncompressed or lossless audio (no use investing alot of cash to listen to lossy MP3's).

I could easily see using high end speakers such as Sierra .5, 1, or 2(when it becomes a reality) with a PC, if your pc is your primary source, and optimized for audio/video reproduction. Noise is a major concern with PCs, but even that is becoming less of an issue.

Here are a few links
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/..._300_AM2_media
    http://www.acousticpc.com/zalman_tnn...uter_case.html
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...ic_server.html

A Sierra 0.5 would make a great surround speaker for those running Sierras in the front. The HTM-200SE is fine but I don't think it quite matches the build and sound quality of the Sierra.

As for the being developed Sierra 0.5, if you look at the Era D4, there is certainly a market for that size of speaker in the same supposed price range. Certainly not limited to a PC speaker, but there are some fine sounding systems built around a PC.
    Guys.... just trying to be helpful. I saw the thread late, but it appeared to be a poll of sorts with Dave trying to get an idea of who would be interested in these kinds of speakers. I personally couldn't see a use of these for me. It definitely wouldn't be helpful to chime in and say those sound really cool, develop them!, knowing I have no intention of actually purchasing something like that.

Mike - I'm assuming Dave has every intention of them being superior sounding to the HTM200SE. Despite that, for surround sound duty, I just don't think anyone's going to notice. On multi-channel music they would, but mult-channel music just continues to not take off to any degree.

I just hope the Sierra .5 doesn't take away from the Sierra-2 development. I bet both margins and demand for a Sierrra-2 would greatly exceed a 0.5 Sierra.

If its small enough, I might could use one for a center channel though.... hmm. I'm very space limited in that slot.
    Last edited by azanon; 04-06-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

As far as the Sierra and 340SE are concerned, take the time to compare and make the evaluation. I am sure your amp will drive the Sierras fine.
    But Sierra-2's are just around the corner.... right? I'm patient.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player